Juliet: A Novel (Random House Reader's…

Juliet: A Novel (Random House Reader's Circle) (edition 2011)

by Anne Fortier

When Julie Jacobs leaves for Italy per the instructions of her late aunt's will, she never imagines that she'll be thrust into a centuries-old feud, not to mention one of the most legendary romances of all time.
Member:bibliovaldejaen
Title:Juliet: A Novel (Random House Reader's Circle)
Authors:Anne Fortier
Info:Ballantine Books (2011), Paperback, 480 páginas

Juliet by Anne Fortier

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books center on heroines named after Shakespearean characters and deal with the theme of a destiny or personality based on their literary counterparts.
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (Bitter_Grace)

English (128)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (133)
This book is a somewhat entertaining modern-day re-telling of the story of Romeo and Juliet, complete with warring families, a look at Italian history, and, of course, love. The story alternates between long passages telling the ancient story and Julie's passionate relationship with Allesandro--Romeo. Her sister Janice joins her, and the danger ramps up as the sisters close in on the prize. They can't depend on any friend or foe is who he seems to be. Harrowing scenes play out in the bone-filled crypts and ancient waterways far beneath the city of Siena and in the Piazza del Campo, where the historic Palio (horserace) is run. I found the fictional old story fascinating, and I loved the romantic setting in Tuscany where memories are long and the events of six hundred years ago are still so alive in the buildings, the art, and the hearts of the people. This novel also has an intriguing mystery and adventure component that pulls you into that beautiful and ancient world, Siena, Italy. It leaves you wondering and questioning and hanging on every written word up until the very end. ( )
  AvigailRGRIL | Nov 12, 2020 |
Sounded good, it wasnt.
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
I like this pretty well. Some of it didn't hold together very well. The romance read a bit like a bodice buster. Not my thing. I enjoyed reading about the "actual" Romeo and Juliet" from a historical perspective. I picked this book after hearing the author interviewed on Bob Edwards. I'm glad I read it, but not a favorite. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book for the most part. But I found the main character Julie a bit whiny and stupid. Somethings were so clear, and she always missed them. This is a bit of the problem with some first person mystery novels. On the whole it was really cute and fun. ( )
  MicrobeMom | Mar 23, 2018 |
History. Shakespeare. Genealogy. Italy. Understated Romance. Not much more I could ask for out of a book! The heroine was frustratingly dim-witted once in a while, but overall, I really enjoyed this book and will definitely be seeking out other Fortier works. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
Lovers of adventurous fiction will lose themselves in Fortier's exciting, intricately woven tale.
added by bell7 | editBooklist, Kristine Huntley

To my beloved mother,
Birgit Malling Eriksen,
whose magnanimity and herculean research
made this book possible.
They say I died.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,520,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible