The Emperor's Tomb by Steve Berry

The Emperor's Tomb

by Steve Berry

The Charlemagne Pursuit by Steve Berry (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Cotton Malone, a retired Justice Department operative has more adventures than when on active duty.

English (50)  Dutch (1)  All (51)
Cotton Malones life as an antiquarian book dealer in Copenhagen is never boring, hell, I wonder if he even have time to be an antiquarian book dealer since he spends much of his time traveling around the globe saving things and people. In this book he has to save his close friend Cassiopeia Vitt and suddenly he is smack in the middle of a power struggle between two of Chinas leading men. It’s nonstop action from the beginning till the end. Just the way I like my adventures books. And you get a history lesson about Chinas first emperor. I like that too, since I honestly isn’t that well informed about Chinas history.
It’s a good book, it never gets boring. The only thing I didn’t like was the ending when Victor died. I liked him. I can't remember Malones history with him, been a while since I read a Berry book. But I liked him and Cassiopeia together in this book. I strangly enough found there relationship more interesting than Malones and Cassiopeia...
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
I really wanted to like this book and didn't much. I will say I did enjoy all the nonfiction bits. Maybe I would have liked this better as a nonfiction book. The part that I liked best was the Writer's Note at the back of the book. That was fascinating and as a author I learned a lot about combining fact and fiction in a novel. ( )
  devorah_fox | Jan 10, 2017 |
Another well paced thriller. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Not my favourite Cotton Malone book, but still an enjoyable read. 3.5 stars. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
You know what Steve Berry really likes?

He likes single-sentence paragraphs.

Or sometimes even shorter.

Two words.

I have a feeling he could have cut thirty pages out of the book just by using fewer paragraphs. The story, though, is mostly just a series of thriller cliches. A torture scene and an arbitrary murder scene to show what an awful person the bad guy is, two heroes fighting over a girl, helicopter chases, etc. I give it a slightly higher rating than I would have otherwise because of all the careful historical research that was done; but even so I think the scenic detail suffered as the author hurried along to get us to the next fight.

Historical thrillers.

There are better ones out there.

Find them. ( )
1 vote benfulton | Apr 5, 2016 |
A bullet zipped past Cotton Malone.

Former government operative Cotton Malone teams with old heartthrob Cassiopeia Vitt on a dangerous mission to retrieve a priceless Chinese lamp from the third century B.C.E.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Emperor's Tomb by Steve Berry was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,796,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible