The Emperor's Tomb (Cotton Malone) by…

The Emperor's Tomb (Cotton Malone)

by Steve Berry

The Charlemagne Pursuit: A Novel by Steve Berry (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Cotton Malone, a retired Justice Department operative has more adventures than when on active duty.

English (45)  Dutch (1)  All languages (46)
Cotton Malone, a book seller in Denmark and retired DOJ operative, receives a video of Cassiopeia Vitt being water boarded. A Chinese operative has requested that he deliver something, a 2,200 year old dragon oil lamp, to ensure her safety. He doesn’t have it, or have a clue where to find it. He is desperate to help her. To that end he becomes enmeshed in a struggle to save a young boy from Chinese captors. But, he also finds out that the US and Russia are interested in this boy due to the father is a geologist whose specialty is finding oil. Upon freeing Cassiopeia, Cotton finds himself in a Chinese plot which could ultimately result in world war, if it is not stopped.

I enjoyed this book immensely. So many twists and turns. Especially interesting was China and the tomb of the first Chinese Emperor, the tomb of the terra cotta warriors. I’ve always wanted to visit Xian and this tomb. I was fascinated by this setting. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Jul 10, 2018 |
Again, this was a great book from the Cotton Malone series. Cotton has to free his friend Cassiopeia Vitt, who was kidnapped for stealing an old Chinese lamp. But this was just the hanger that tells the story of China. [[Berry]] managed to bring the Chinese high culture and all its inventions closer to the reader in this thriller. It not only teaches you what the Chinese invented thousands of years ago, but also about a hot topic that has to do with oil resources. Likewise, you learn a lot about the political machinations of the past and today.
The thriller is written grippingly. I highly recommend this series. ( )
  Ameise1 | Jan 1, 2018 |
This was not my favorite book in this series. It was riddled with Chinese politics and... for me at least... it was like wading through mud at times. The saving grace for the book was when Cotton and Cassiopeia were involved in the adventure taking place in the story. Thus having been said...that brings me to the main issue I had with the book. Cotton Malone was almost a secondary character here except for the Prologue...which I thought and hoped would be the setting for the entire book. It wasn't. Cotton seemed to have been incorporated into the story to make it a part of the Cotton Malone series. While the historical information was interesting, I found that something was just lacking in the story. I will certainly continue this series but I hope that Steve Berry brings Cotton out of where ever he had him hiding. ( )
  Carol420 | Sep 14, 2017 |
Another well paced thriller. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Not my favourite Cotton Malone book, but still an enjoyable read. 3.5 stars. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
A bullet zipped past Cotton Malone.
Do not combine with ISBNs 0345523148 and 0345505506 which a bonus short story.

Former government operative Cotton Malone teams with old heartthrob Cassiopeia Vitt on a dangerous mission to retrieve a priceless Chinese lamp from the third century B.C.E.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Steve Berry's book The Emperor's Tomb was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,023,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible