Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Troubled Waters by Shannon Shinn

Troubled Waters (edition 2010)

by Shannon Shinn

Member:lovestamps
Title:Troubled Waters
Authors:Shannon Shinn
Info:S.l. : Ace 2010.

Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn (Author)

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (aboulomania)
    Fire Logic by Laurie J. Marks (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Elements are linked with temperament in both settings.
    Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn (readr)
    readr: Same author, similar style, different setting.
    Court Duel by Sherwood Smith (readr)
    readr: Same court intrigue, wondering who to trust and their motivations.
    Angel with the Sword by C. J. Cherryh (MyriadBooks)
    The Bird of the River by Kage Baker (MyriadBooks)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Very different (but similarly engaging) plots with interesting protagonists and complex relationships.
    Wheel of the Infinite by Martha Wells (aviddiva)

So, enjoyable, but uneventful in the beginning. Just when you start to realize not much is happening...BAM! Things get kickin'.

I enjoyed it very much. I will read on. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
An interesting, tropical (or so I originally surmised) fantasy of elemental powers, markets, car-like vehicles and political intrigue. However, at first it is less a fantasy narrative than a story of a young woman who, having escaped from the king's representative who brought her to the city after the death of her father, goes to live with the poor by the river.

The first time I read this (2011), I didn't warm to Zoe, or the narrative tone quite as much as I've warmed to some of Shinn's other heroines and narratives. I found something formal, almost stilted, about the tone, but I liked Zoe and enjoyed her story enough to read it in one gulp. Some of the twists took me by surprise, and it was interesting. Between the culture and the combination of (some) technology with more pre-industrial social structures, the setting was different and colourful to many other fantasy landscapes I've read about.

Reading this again -- I've been reading and enjoying later books in this series -- I was surprised by how much I liked it. I remembered the main twists and secrets but not how it all unfolded, so I had the fun of wondering what would happen next and of being able to see how the puzzle pieces were fitting together.

The pacing in this book is a little unusual, albeit thematically appropriate -- it’s like a river: sometimes deep and still, sometimes meandering, sometimes frantic and dangerous. Knowing where it was all heading gave me a different perspective on some of the more oddly-paced sections.

She turned away from him and began a slow, measured pacing, coming to a halt when she was along the shorter wall, where the windows faced west toward the sea. Darien took a few steps forward, so he stood almost dead center in the room, and pivoted slowly to follow her progress. It was as if they were engaged in the stateliest of dances, where every step, every gesture, was weighted with significance.
Half of the room still lay between them, gleaming with refracted sun.
1 vote Herenya | Jan 18, 2019 |
I am never disappointed by Shinn. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
Great start to this series; Zoe is an engaging lead character. Shinn very adroitly develops the character from a shy, impoverished girl into a strong commanding woman. The supporting characters are plausible and each very 3-dimensional. The king (Vernon) seems the weakest character and inconsistently portrayed. Darien Serlast comes across as an arrogant twerp even though he means well. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 18, 2017 |
Sharon Shinn is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. I didn't love this one quite as much as Summers at Castle Auburn, but the magic system and world she created for this series is fascinating. And as always, it's a delight to be able to enjoy a romance without sacrificing good writing or interesting characters. Perfect escapist fiction. ( )
  AngelClaw | Dec 31, 2016 |

Shinn, SharonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dyck, Jennifer VanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Robin,
with her elay soul
and her sweela crown
Navarr Ardelay's body was laid to rest in a blazing pyre, as befit a sweela man who owed his allegiance to flame.

Zoe Ardelay, chosen to become the king's fifth wife, is a coru prime ruled by the elemental sign of water. She must return to the palace, not as an unwilling bride for the king, but a woman with power in her own right. But as Zoe unlocks more of the mysteries of her blood--and the secrets of the royal family--she must decide how to use her great power to rise above the deceptions and intrigue of the royal court.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,469,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible