Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Cardturner: A Novel About a King, a…

The Cardturner: A Novel About a King, a Queen, and a Joker (2010)

by Louis Sachar

English (52)  Dutch (1)  All languages (53)
Amusing, brainy about bridge without being overbearing (as was Melville, notes the narrator, in Moby-Dick). Overall, a fine read with a wry narrator who, although 17 years old, doesn't bump himself out of the Newbery running. The story is a great one about relationship, trust, fair play and doing what you love.
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
This made me really want to learn to play bridge, despite the fact that I understood very little of what was going on in the card games.

Despite the fact that I loved this book and greatly enjoyed all of it, it kind of gave me a sense of dread as I read it. I kept expecting something super awful to happen, right up to the very end. Speaking of the end, I was expecting a little more, somehow. I mean, it was a great ending at all. But like, the very last actual paragraph. I turned the page expecting more, only to find that there was no more. Kind of disappointing.

Nevertheless, I loved it. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Dec 14, 2016 |
I know I'm old, and this book will not go over as well with teens, but I really liked it, and I really want to learn to play bridge. ( )
  bburton131 | Jun 19, 2016 |
Very impressive - Sachar *almost* managed to make Bridge interesting. I stink at trick-taking games, though, even Hearts and Euchre. I'd've liked the story more, except that some of the supporting characters were so ugly. Not until the end did we understand Alton's understanding of and r'ship to Cliff, and I never understood why Alton's parents were so iconographically shallow. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Louis Sacharprimary authorall editionscalculated
Watts, Trish ParcellDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Nancy Joe, Nacy Jo Gordy, Marilou Powell, Paul and Beth Tobias, Jerry Bigler, Claudette Hartman, Alex Kolesnik, and Ruth Sachar. It's been a joy sitting across the table from you

(even if a bit trying at times),

and to all my friends at the Austin Bridge Center, opponents and partners alike,

and to anyone, anywhere, who is struggling to figure out whether a bid of four clubs is Gerber or natural...
Ever since I was a little kid, I've had it drilled into me that my uncle Lester was my favorite uncle.
I have this rule. If you can see that plan A won't work, don't do it, even if you don't have a plan B.

When his wealthy uncle, a champion bridge player who has lost his vision, asks seventeen-year-old Alton to be a cardturner for him, Alton has no idea how much he will ultimately learn from his eccentric relative. Includes appendix by Syd Fox with information about bridge.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,497,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible