Funke, C: Reckless I: The Petrified Flesh…

Funke, C: Reckless I: The Petrified Flesh (Mirrorworld) (original 2010; edition 2016)

by Cornelia Funke (Autor)

Series: Reckless {Funke} (1)

1,540659,035 (3.7)1 / 82
Jacob and Will Reckless have looked out for each other ever since their father disappeared, but when Jacob discovers a magical mirror that transports him to a warring world populated by witches, giants, and ogres, he keeps it to himself until Will follows him one day, with dire consequences.
Member:Amy0231
Title:Funke, C: Reckless I: The Petrified Flesh (Mirrorworld)
Authors:Cornelia Funke (Autor)
Info:Pushkin Children's Books (2021), 352 pages

Work Information

Reckless by Cornelia Funke (2010)

Fearless by Cornelia Funke (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Another title in the author's Mirrorworld series.
    The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm by Jacob Grimm (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Funke's Mirrorworld is imbued with the themes and atmosphere of the Grimm tales, even though the modern world is encroaching.
    Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Both books use a mirror as a portal to another world where everyday things and ideas become reversed and distorted.

English (60)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (65)
Equally good the second time around. ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
Once upon a time. . .

Cornelia Funke decided to tell another tale about stories coming to life (much as she did in Inkheart) and although this book sounds a bit like Inkheart, it is a completely different story. In Reckless, Jacob Restless has discovered a world beyond the magic mirror in his father's study. In this world, Jacob learns that fairytales do exist; however, they're not exactly the same stories we learned growing up. One day, Jacob's little brother, Will, follows him through the mirror, is injured and all seems lost as Jacob is now must figure out a way to rescue his little brother or he will lost him forever.

Ms. Funke is a master storyteller and, like Inkheart and Dragon Rider before it, I was enchanted and loved the book. I found myself lost in her magical world and when the story was over, I wanted more. Great book. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
2.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

The Petrified Flesh (or Reckless as it used to be called), is a series by Cornelia Funke that I have seen in the bookstore about a million times. Something, however, stopped me from reading it previously. I can't even begin to explain why, because her Inkworld trilogy is one of my favorite children's books and The Thief Lord I also enjoyed a lot.

Maybe it was just a warning from myself, because now that I read it, it didn't feel right and I can't say that I enjoyed it. It felt part like a cheaper version of Inkworld, with another world behind the mirror, and also the characters didn't come to life for me (pun intended). It was not truly bad either, but just very forgettable.

I was disappointed, and I haven't decided yet wether or not to continue with the series. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Ok, admit it and get over it! I will never finish this. Life is too short. ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
review em breve
  Joana_v_v | Aug 10, 2018 |

Cornelia Funkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wigram, LionelAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hill, ElliotNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Latsch, OliverTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Lionel, who found the door to this story and who so often knew more about than I did, friend and finder of ideas, indispensable on either side of the mirror.

And for Oliver, who again and again tailored English clothes for this story so that the Englishman and the German could tell it together.
The night breathed through the apartment like a dark animal.
Nibble, nibble, little mouse, who's been nibbling at my house?
Then she took hold of Hansel with her bony hand, carried him away to a little hutch with a barred door, and shut him up there. He could shout all he liked, but it did him no good.
And then the deep brought forth a King, and when there came a time of great peril for him, there also came the Jade Goyl, born from glass and silver, and he made the King invincible, even to death.
Once upon a time, there was an Empress who had lost a war. But the Empress had a daughter….
Once upon a time, there was a boy who set out to learn the meaning if fear.

Through the Looking-Glass
the Brothers Grimm live again,
but a life more weird.
(ed.pendragon)
Jacob Reckless must
battle dark magic to save
his younger brother.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,458,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible