Chosen by Jeanne C. Stein
120None99,693 (3.68)5

Since The Becoming, we have been told that Anna is the chosen one. It's taken Stein five books and less than a year in the time of the novel to finally go somewhere with this. Things are going fine for Anna until she decides to spend a weekend with her model/vampire lover Lance. The trouble begins when she shows up at a gathering and discovers that Lance's sire believes that she has been brought there as a gift for him, because of course she is the chosen one. Things get worse when Anna discovers that Underwood has partnered with her nemesis the former chief Williams. With Lance at risk, Anna is finally forced to agree to learn what it is to be The Chosen.

This book had a lot of sex and mediocre action. I like that Anna says quite explicitly says that she loves having sex because to often, when it comes to women, there is a lot of shaming for enjoying sex. The problem is that for a good portion of the book, Anna is having sex and for a time, I wondered if I had accidentally stepped into a slightly less graphic Anita Blake book. The frequency of the sex felt like nothing more than filler, in large part because The Chosen is so short on plot.

After spending five books building to the point of Anna becoming the chosen one, you would think that the climax would be epic but instead, it all just sort of fizzled out. The Chosen reads as nothing more than an opportunity to introduce two new antagonists, since Stein decided to unceremoniously get rid of Williams. Anna did however develop the ability to sniff evil (yes you read that ridiculous super power correctly) and walk through fire. If anything, this served to make the vampires in this series even more indestructible and ridiculous. I get that vampires can survive in the daylight but was it really necessary to have them sunning themselves in the desert? The vampires in this series seem to be vampires in name only.

For the first time in the series, Stein gave us two women who Anna could tolerate. When Anna goes missing yet again, David brings Tracey Banker in as a new partner to the firm. Rather than alienate David, Anna is actually nice for change. There is also Lance's housekeeper Adele, who exists simply to serve. Just when I was starting to be relieved that finally Stein had bothered to include a female character Anna liked, the antagonist changed from Williams and Underwood to Judith Williams. I suppose we can't have too much female solidarity.

Once again Stein wrote another book without GLBT inclusion. This however did not stop her from using anti-gay slurs.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
Once again in this seemingly long tale of the adventures of Anna Strong, she's worth a lot more alive than she is dead let me tell you! She hasn't even been a vampire for a year yet, but sooooo much has happened to her within this time period of 6 books. But Ms. Stein never lets up and keeps you fastened to your seat while reading this series!

Now amongst everything that has happened, she's learning that her abilities are growing at a rapid rate and she's finding it difficult to control her urges. Of course, wanting to be human is whats she's always wanted but now she's starting to see the big picture - she's no longer and never will be again - human. And it seems that she's always fighting for her life - or rather, her unlife.

She's got her new boyfriend Lance who is always there for her when she needs him. An arch enemy of Warren Williams and something even more evil is after her. But as always more to figure out and nothing is ever cut and dry. Next she gets to meet Julian who is the sire of her boyfriend, and he seems far more interested in Anna than she would like. A few other surprises pop up when she realizes that Warren has been telling her all along that she is the chosen one but yet she refused to believe it! Okay, shes becoming accustomed to being a vampire, but yet the one who will control them all. Really? No, she's not ready for that yet! Geez, a girl needs more than a year to come to terms with that. But now to come to find out that she's been betrayed after opening her heart to someone close! And then has to duel them. Nice twist of events here.

This book really was surprising after reading all the other books that led to this one! ( )
1 vote RuthiesBookReviews | Aug 9, 2011 |
Ahh I love Anna Strong. Im so glad we finally got to the start of her actually BEING the Chosen and learning more about it. Of course the books said she was before but its nice to have some details on it. I must say she really needs to tell David the truth I want to see how that turns out instead of having all the issues between them. Cant wait to see what is Next for Anna. ( )
2 vote STACYatUFI | Sep 10, 2010 |

Still adjusting to her new life as a vampire, Anna Strong, battling the urges that are getting harder and harder to control, is unaware that she has been chosen to shape the destiny of the vampire race--and of all mankind. Original. Anna Strong's primitive vampire instincts are getting harder to control. And a new enemy wants to take advantage of that fact, for Anna has been chosen to shape the destiny of all vampires-and all humans.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible