The Giver (1) (Giver Quartet) by Lois Lowry

The Giver (1) (Giver Quartet) (original 1993; edition 1993)

by Lois Lowry (Author)

Series: The Giver Quartet (1)

Given his lifetime assignment at the Ceremony of Twelve, Jonas becomes the receiver of memories shared by only one other in his community and discovers the terrible truth about the society in which he lives.
Member:tylerandemilea
Title:The Giver (1) (Giver Quartet)
Authors:Lois Lowry (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2014), Edition: Reprint, Media Tie In, 240 pages

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    Truesight by David Stahler Jr. (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very Similar Plot
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    The Owl Keeper by Christine Brodien-Jones (wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: Similarly brain-washy story about a controlled society and how the government tries to suppress the talented people who could break it all down and bring freedom and individualism.
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)

1990s (7)
foods (3)

English (1,441)  Italian (3)  German (3)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (1,453)
I may revisit my rating later. Right now I will go with 3 1/2 stars.

Great writing. Finished it in one sitting. Once I was done I realized that this is really just a simplified and shallower YA version of the thoroughly devastating masterpiece 1984. We are spoon fed the message through "the Giver" who is a teacher figure speaking directly to the protagonist and the audience.

However the whole message is rather muddy in the end--very different from 1984 which pulls no punches when Orwell writes "If you want to picture the future, picture a boot stomping on a human face--forever."

I also found the whole societal set up and total absence of explanation for many key elements (eg. how do you make a whole society color blind, or even why?) annoying as it came off to me as a plot device to make a point.
  ChrisMcCaffrey | Apr 6, 2021 |
Fantastic book. I've intended to read it for a while, but my oldest son encouraged me to read it now because he wants to see the movie.

It can sometimes feel like were overwhelmed with dystopian novels, so it's important to remember that this predates The Hunger Games and its contemporary counterparts.

I definitely need to get the rest of the books in the series, as my son and I are both curious to learn what happens next. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |
The Giver is a story about a young boy named Jonas who lives in a community of sameness, where the people are free of sadness and crime. At the age of 12, children are assigned their jobs, which they will train for and do for the rest of their lives. Everything in this society is chosen for the people, from their parents to their partner. Jonas stands apart from the community when he is chosen to become the new "Memory Keeper". This novel takes us on a journey through Jonas’ experiences and allows us as readers to see what happens when a society is protected from all harm and negativity. I believe this book is perfect for the middle school age, because of the depth and mature content it contains. The Giver discusses death and includes passages of violence and sexual content. This novel would be great for my English classes because there a lot of concepts/themes to unpack and would facilitate deep discussions with my students. The Giver will leave my students wanting more and allow them to see the world they live in from a new perspective. This book is a page turner and was one of the books I really enjoyed reading in middle school. ( )
  Madimurphy33 | Mar 23, 2021 |
The Giver by Lois Lowry explores a dystopian society that lacks colors as well as emotions. The book explores the idea of history being changed and suppressed to control future narratives. ( )
  EverettDowdy | Mar 22, 2021 |
This book is suitable for middle schoolers. It is about a society that has rid itself of choice, feelings, pain, love, and color. The society relies on orderliness and consistency, due to their pursuit of sameness. The book follows a twelve year old boy named Jonas who is the only member of the society who is given the honor of experiencing feelings, pain, love, color, and therefore, choice. It displays how individuality and freedom of choice gives people their humanity. I would use this book in a middle school classroom. This would be a great book to use for literature circles and also to introduce ideas of individuality and imagery in literary works. ( )
  emilyfdubois | Mar 22, 2021 |

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

When Jonas is given his Life Assignment as the Receiver of Memory, he discovers the terrible truth about the society he lives in.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,050,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible