The Giver (1) (Giver Quartet) by Lois Lowry

The Giver (1) (Giver Quartet) (original 1993; edition 1993)

by Lois Lowry (Author)

Series: The Giver Quartet (1)

Given his lifetime assignment at the Ceremony of Twelve, Jonas becomes the receiver of memories shared by only one other in his community and discovers the terrible truth about the society in which he lives.
Member:jennamozingo
Title:The Giver (1) (Giver Quartet)
Authors:Lois Lowry (Author)
Info:Clarion Books (2014), Edition: Reprint, Media Tie In, 240 pages
Collections:Favorites
Rating:*****

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    We: A Novel by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    Truesight by David Stahler Jr. (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very Similar Plot
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Owl Keeper by Christine Brodien-Jones (wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: Similarly brain-washy story about a controlled society and how the government tries to suppress the talented people who could break it all down and bring freedom and individualism.

1990s (10)
foods (3)

English (1,453)  Italian (3)  German (3)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (1,465)
Fascinating and lovely. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
I first read the Giver a dozen or more years ago now for a class. I've re-read it a few times since then and even watched the recent movie (Jeff Bridges makes an excellent Giver, but other than that it's just ... not good). In all of these readings, I never quite got around to reading the sequels. I guess it's about time to give them a try.

In a nutshell, The Giver takes place in what feels like any of a dozen other young adult nearish future dystopias (The Giver being among if not the progenitor of the genre), where everyone knows their place everything is perfect. Except... not really. In The Giver's particular interpretation, everyone is assigned their job at the age of 12.

Jonas' job? To receive memories of the past.

It's a cool concept and there's a wonderful sense of tension running through the book. As the reader, you know before Jonas does that something is off about his world, but both the reader and Jonas learn together just how deep the wrong goes.

Having not read any of the sequels, I'm thoroughly confused how there even can be a sequel. Jonas dies. I know that's left up to the reader, but at least so far as I'm concerned, that's how I've already interpreted the last chapter. His mind conjured up one last memory for him and that's it.

I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
One of the best books I've had to read in school. The world Lowry creates is interesting, yet a bit eerie. ( )
  DoomLuz | Jul 20, 2021 |
I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler-free way. Unfortunately, there is still always a risk of slight spoilers despite my best efforts. If you feel something in my review is a spoiler please let me know. Thank you.

Another book I read in school. This one I also want to reread as an adult and if I like it, I'd like to continue the series. I remember enjoying this one in school, so hopefully, that stays true for my reread. I did watch the movie, but I didn't like it all that much.

Reread 5/10/20
I kept the same rating. I think I liked it more when I had to read it for school, or maybe it's just that I knew what to expect, but I didn't like it as much as I remember. I was also hoping that reading it as an adult would clear up the ending but it didn't. Still just as confusing as it was the first time I read it.

This book does get you thinking though. It shows a world where all the bad things are taken away, but you lose all the good things too and are left with nothing but mediocrity and lies. Lies to others and lies to yourself. I have never read the other books in the series, but I intend to. Maybe it will help clear some things up now. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
This was a re-read (first read was in middle school).

It was just as good as I remember. ( )
  thinktink93 | Jul 17, 2021 |

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

When Jonas is given his Life Assignment as the Receiver of Memory, he discovers the terrible truth about the society he lives in.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,556,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible