The giver by Lois Lowry

The giver (original 1993; edition 2002)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver (1)

Given his lifetime assignment at the Ceremony of Twelve, Jonas becomes the receiver of memories shared by only one other in his community and discovers the terrible truth about the society in which he lives.
Member:Farrell.chr
Title:The giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Saint Paul, Minn. : EMC/Paradigm Pub., 2002.

Work Information

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

Recently added bySHCAcademy, Rennie8888, k_luvs_k, shreelar, private library
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    We: A Novel by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    Truesight by David Stahler Jr. (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very Similar Plot
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Owl Keeper by Christine Brodien-Jones (wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: Similarly brain-washy story about a controlled society and how the government tries to suppress the talented people who could break it all down and bring freedom and individualism.

1990s (26)
foods (3)

English (1,475)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (1,487)
I really, really liked this story. I have read Lois Lowry before and appreciate her no-nonsense approach to writing. She doesn't water things down for her reading set. As I was thinking about this whole idea and reading the book, I thought to myself, "Why is such good writing wasted on the youth," which isn't what I was truly thinking... What I mean to say is, "Why don't more grown-ups read some really good stuff, even if it is initially written to the younger readers?" This was a thought provoking book on so many levels! I am glad that I don't mind walking into the juvenile section, or heaven-forbid, the sacred YA corner (or whole secluded room at my PL), looking up a great author and reading her stuff. When I read stories like this, I become jealous of junior high school librarians because they already know all the good stories!

I did look up City of Ember and it is written after The Giver, btw. I already started the second book of this loose trilogy!

I am almost done with this fascinating book! Right up my alley with dystopian themes, challenging set rules, and illumination that comes with knowledge. I'm really liking it! I am going to look up though when City of Ember was written and compare to this book. Has some similar tones/settings. What is it with the age of twelve where so many books begin? Is this also a trilogy? ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
Wow. I'm so glad I finally read this. ( )
  suzannekmoses | May 20, 2022 |
I didn't intend to finish this book in a day. But I did, and this speaks volumes about his style.

Without giving spoilers, this book will make you think about your lifestyle and wishes, especially if you live a very ordinary and grey life. Even if you don't, and your life is full of pain and misery, you will still like it, it will remind you that suffering can have a meaning. That suffering and pain can make people live better by expanding their awareness of feelings.

5/5 stars, excellent read. If someone knows of a book with similar themes and messages but darker please tell me.

Edit: After having J.G. Keely's review I have lowered the rating to 4/5. Still a great book, just it made me see the flaws in the narration.
  Pxan02 | May 14, 2022 |
This was a great book!
  Tarachka | May 5, 2022 |
This was an interesting book. what a grim world these people live in. I need to read the series now. I read this since a movie was made. I have not seen it yet but usually read the book first. ( )
  KyleneJones | Apr 25, 2022 |

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

When Jonas is given his Life Assignment as the Receiver of Memory, he discovers the terrible truth about the society he lives in.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,259,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible