Citizen Dick by Richard Arneson

Citizen Dick

by Richard Arneson

313,052,271 (3)None
Creative accounting. Mismanagement. Vanishing 401Ks. Insider trading. Misplaced power. Neuroses. Bloody clown suits. Meatloaf costumes. Self-administered prison tattoos. You guessed it......Corporate America. And in 1989, nobody better exemplified those characteristics and a hundred tawdry others, more than CommGlobalTeleVista, a telecommunications behemoth that's future relied on a promotion that would provide customers with something they didn't want or need, and a CEO who hoped buying a meat company, or acting like its takeover is in the works, would move their stock price north of $75 per share and award him a $100 million bonus. And it all happened because Dick Citizen, an unambitious, twenty-five-year-old with an obsessive hatred for his first name, an uncanny ability to hit a golf ball long and straight, and a bizarre skeleton in his closet, stumbled backwards into the last place he should be, you guessed it....Corporate America.… (more)
Recently added bymom2childs, caitemaire, Manderiffic
ARC (1) fiction (1) random (1)

It's 1989 and twenty-five-year-old, Dick Citizen has just found himself as top player in the company CommGlobalTeleVista. CommGlobalTeleVista is run by an eccentric group of mostly men, who are out for the big bucks and do not care what it takes to get them. In the time before cell phones and the world wide web really make in impact, CommGlobalTeleVista is looking for that money making win that Dick Citizen might have found. In Richard Arneson's Citizen Dick, We meet Dick Citizen and all the essential people in both his personal and professional lives. Dick finds himself in a bit over his head, and enjoying the ride.

This book was very different from my normal reads. I have to admit it was hard for me to get through, but it was not necessarily a bad ride. The beginning of the book was a bit slow and jumped around between characters so much, that I sometimes found myself feeling lost. Richard Arneson introduced us to many different characters right away and I felt that, in the beginning, Dick was left out. As I continued through the story and tried to ignore the lack of plot and over used references to bowel movements, I actually began to enjoy what I was reading. This really is not the book for everyone. I enjoyed the main character Dick and I loved the qualities he had, but I felt that a lot of things were hit and miss. There was too much over the top humor for my liking. Now, I am not saying this book is no good, I'm just saying it is not for everyone. Richard Arneson definitely has a talent for writing and I enjoyed reading this book, but I feel that the lack of plot and some of the crude humor was not for me. The picture that Arneson painted of Corporate America was very solid and he wrote a decent book, I would have just liked to see a bit more done with the plot and a bit more focus on Dick Citizen. All in all, check this one out if you are looking for something different and new.

Review originally posted at my blog Draw A Blank.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from The Cadence Group. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  Manderiffic | Mar 24, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,567,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible