The DUFF: (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) by…

The DUFF: (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) (original 2010; edition 2015)

by Kody Keplinger (Author)

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper starts sleeping with Wesley Rush, a notorious womanizer who disgusts her, in order to distract her from her personal problems, and to her surprise, the two of them find they have a lot in common and are able to help each other find more productive ways to deal with their difficulties.… (more)
Member:mfeddern
Title:The DUFF: (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)
Authors:Kody Keplinger (Author)
Info:Poppy (2015), Edition: Media tie-in, 320 pages

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger (2010)

English (138)  Spanish (1)  All languages (139)
Read this book a LONG time back, about 2 years ago actually. It was a good. funny and raunchy YA book that's VERY different from the movie. ( )
  Xftg133 | Jun 8, 2021 |
I was surprised how much I enjoyed this. The plot and dialogue weren't innovative (some of the dialogues sounded like it was a movie script). I also wanted to shake the main character a few times and tell her to just open up to her friends. But it was an emotionally rewarding story and I absolutely loved watching it play out. The characters and their problems just resonated with me for some reason and watching them find resolution just made me so happy. I also really loved Keplinger's treatment of teen sexuality and reputations. It was looked at in a very realistic way, and it was a nice change to see the ramifications of sex as well as not seeing it as this end-all perfect thing on a pedestal. I'm tired of teen novels treating sex in such extreme ways: virginity to be protected and saved for one special soul mate, or thrown around carelessly with no consequences or discussion of protection. The fact that Keplinger notes the use of condoms is realistic and great.

Surprising but this book really worked for me. ( )
  JustZelma | Dec 20, 2020 |
For me, it is 2.5 stars; wish that Goodreads will give the half stars.
Maybe because I finished high school date and a little more ago, the plot was a little childish. I can understand why people like it, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

I loved the idea of addressing DUFFs and the sexual parts of teen lives, though the execution wasn't as nearly as good as it could have been. The characters and the overall story lacked an emotional edge, one that would have made the story much better if contained. Even though I wouldn't say I liked this book's plot, I did like Kody Keplinger's writing. I know that I will give her other books a chance. ( )
  AvigailRGRIL | Nov 9, 2020 |
I never knew until recently that the author was a teenager when she wrote this. It doesn't show.

Although I saw the movie that was based on the book before radingit, I liked both for different reasons. The movie was, although formulaic, pretty fun. The book there is more of a 'frenemies-with-benefits" relationship between Bianca and Wesley. A a LOT more sex. There's no "makeover" storyline, since Bianca is happy with herself as she is. She's just bothered by the "DUFF" title. And it bothers her that it bothers her. Plus, she's having a pretty crappy homelife with her parents divorce and trying to keep her dad on the wagon as a result.

I think I will check out the other books by this author in the near future. ( )
  DanielleBates | Sep 16, 2020 |

I think I will check out the other books by this author in the near future. ( )
  DanielleBates | Sep 16, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For Aja, whose birthday brought us both good luck
This was getting old.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,545,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible