Arrr! Pirate Flag(Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day) Thar be a hunt for treasure, Mateys!

The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates by…

The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates (edition 2010)

by Wes Moore (Author)

Member:pqfuller
Title:The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
Authors:Wes Moore (Author)
Info:Spiegel & Grau (2010), Edition: 1, 256 pages
Tags:to-read, npr, to-buy

The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates by Wes Moore

The Tale of Two Nazanins by Susan McClelland (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both books are about two people with the same name, one very successful and the other in prison for murder.
    Losing My Cool: How a Father's Love and 15,000 Books Beat Hip-hop Culture by Thomas Chatterton Williams (erickandow)

I would suggest this as a good book group pick; there are lots of questions that could be discussed regarding the choices and fates of the two Wes Moores. ( )
  alyssajp | Jul 29, 2019 |
This is a unique story of two black men with the same name. They both had a rough childhood--no father around, mothers working hard to support them, and learned a lot of tough lessons about life from their time on the streets.

It's not easy trying to figure out which Wes I am reading about in this story. It jumps around from one POV to the other without really telling you. If it mentions Tony or Woody, it's the murderer Wes. If it mentions the service or John Hopkins, you are reading about the intellectual Wes.

While this would be an interesting book club book, it's not one that I personally would re-read again because I found it unrelatable. ( )
  caslater83 | Jun 2, 2019 |
I get what this book is trying to accomplish and it is motivational, but their was something missing for me. I can't quite pinpoint what it was however. The Other Wes Moore is the story of how two young men, from the same city, with the same name, the same race, similar ages, and similar childhood led vastly different lives. One is a Rhodes Scholar and veteran while the other is serving a life sentence for murdering a cop. Wes Moore (the successful one) starts writing to the other Wes Moore in prison and soon the two are meeting and comparing lives. Wes then breaks down critical moments in their lives where their actions defined how the rest of their lives would end up. The book is about how choices determine our fates and how the little things can really add up. At the back of the book are a lot of resources on organizations that are meant to steer people on the right path and how to fix up some of their mistakes. Motivational and inspirational, but somehow still a miss for me. ( )
  ecataldi | Jun 1, 2019 |
While I couldn't relate, I do realize that kids growing up in the inner cities would and could readily identify with the hardships of both these young men. This book made me both cheer and be sickened at the same time with Prison Wes. He had his chance and then blew it. The other Wes (Writer Wes) could have gone bad, but he chose not to succumb to that type of lifestyle of stealing, drugs, etc. At first I had trouble distinguishing which Wes I was reading, so I nicknamed them Prison Wes and Writer Wes. This would make for good discussion at a book club ( )
  travelgal | Sep 22, 2018 |
RGG: Not great literature, but a very readable story of the different life paths of two African American men growing up fatherless in 1990's urban America. Will appeal to those who enjoyed MacDonald's All Souls or McBride's The Color of Water. Reading Level: YA-Adult.
  rgruberhighschool | Sep 9, 2018 |
For Mama Win, Mommy, Nikki, Shani, and Dawn, the women who helped shape my journey to manhood

Two kids named Wes Moore were born blocks apart within a year of each other. Both grew up fatherless in similar Baltimore neighborhoods and had difficult childhoods; both hung out on street corners with their crews; both ran into trouble with the police. How, then, did one grow up to be a Rhodes Scholar, decorated veteran, White House Fellow, and business leader, while the other ended up a convicted murderer serving a life sentence? Wes Moore, the author of this fascinating book, sets out to answer this profound question. In alternating narratives that take readers from heart-wrenching losses to moments of surprising redemption, The Other Wes Moore tells the story of a generation of boys trying to find their way in a hostile world.

"The chilling truth is that his story could have been mine. The tragedy is that my story could have been his."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:51 -0400)

Two kids with the same name were born blocks apart in the same decaying city within a few years of each other. One grew up to be a Rhodes Scholar, army officer, White House Fellow, and business leader. The other is serving a life sentence in prison. Here is the story of two boys and the journey of a generation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,096,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible