The Thorn (2010)

by Beverly Lewis

Series: The Rose Trilogy (1)

Rose's older sister, Hen, knows more than she should about falling for the wrong man. Unable to abandon her Amish ways, Hen is soon separated from her very modern husband. Mattie, their young daughter, must visit her father regularly, but Hen demands she wear Amish attire--and speak Pennsylvania Dutch, despite her husband's wishes. Will Hen be able to reestablish her place among the People she abandoned? And will she be able to convince Rose to steer clear of rogue neighbor Nick?… (more)

I've read other books by Beverly Lewis in the past. This one seemed slightly different than the majority of Amish fiction. This book (and only this book from the trilogy) was in a library booksale.

Rose is already committed to the Church but seems torn between two men. Silas Good (already baptized) and Nick (not yet a member of their Church). Rose wants to think Nick is just a friend--but I'm not so sure of that. The book leaves off with Rose planning to marry Silas--we'll see if that happens. I suspect there might be some pitfalls for them along the way.

Hannah (called Hen) never joined the Church and married a man from "the world". She's not shunned but now that she's a mother, she feels a pull to go back to her roots. I'm not sure if Brandon, Hen's husband, is fearful she'll leave him and that's why he tries to get her to hide her roots/deny her roots. I'm also not sure if he just didn't think the puppy thing through or if he was trying to manipulate their daughter--maybe figuring Hen would come home if Mattie Sue chose to live at his house.

I'm still not quite sure what was at the root of Christian's and Nick's animosity toward each other. Did Christian resent the attention Nick got (kind of like the prodigal son got all sorts of attention when he returned making the son who'd stayed and done the right thing, jealous)? Did Christian also feel the pressure from the community for the Bishop's son to be "doing the right thing"? I wonder if what happened between Christian and Nick will become known? ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jul 5, 2021 |
An interesting Amish story that kept me guessing as to how it would end. And ended, knowing there was more to the story, so I began book two, "The Judgment".

Rose Kauffman has always had a close relationship with the bishop's rebellious foster son, Nick. Nick though doesn't seem to embrace the Amish way of life. Rose's sister Hen returns to the Amish community with her young daughter, having left it several years ago to marry outside the Amish community. So you will watch these two sisters struggle with what to do about their future and how to stay true to their upbringing. It was a well told story. ( )
  judyg54 | Jan 15, 2021 |
The Rose trilogy. Good. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Feb 19, 2018 |
Rose and her are Amish Sisters, divided by the only impulsive marriage to an outsider (who longs for the old ways... and the other sister who is devoted to the old but is falling for a rebellion Nick.
  Indiancreek | Dec 14, 2017 |
I am now always looking for something new and different in Amish fiction, because I've read so many and I found that in Hen's storyline. Rose's was a fit different to in that she had a friend who was taken in by an Amish family, but never really adapted to it. Having a guy friend wasn't so bad when she was young, but it is causing problems now that she's of courting age and has already been baptized. I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy. ( )
  eliorajoy | May 16, 2017 |
To my darling cousins Bonnie, Marcia, Susie and Marie, sisters four. And in loving memory of dear Caroline. 1923-2010.
At times I wonder what might've happened if I'd gone with Mamm that damp, hazy morning eleven years ago.

Bethany House

4 editions of this book were published by Bethany House.

Editions: 0764205749, 0764208144, 0764208152, 0764217445

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,096,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible