Lady Sophia's Lover by Lisa Kleypas

Lady Sophia's Lover

by Lisa Kleypas

Series: Bow Street Runners (2)

English (19)  Czech (1)  All (20)
Lady Sophia’s Lover is the second book in Lisa Kleypas’ Bow Street Runners series, and like its predecessor, which I re-read last month, this marks the second time I’ve read it. However, the time I first read it, I wasn’t yet writing reviews, so now I get the pleasure of reviewing it for the first time. In this book, we get the story of a heroine who sets out looking for vengeance against the hero for the role she believes he played in her brother’s death and ends up unexpectedly finding the love of her life instead. Once again, I was reminded of all the reasons why I love this series so much. It boasts three, hot, sexy, scrumptious heroes, all of whom are easy to fall in love with, and three, kind and gentle, but strong heroines, all of whom are easy to like and want to be friends with if they were real. I think I ended up liking Lady Sophia’s Lover ever so slightly more than the first book, Someone to Watch Over Me. I may have liked Vivien, the heroine of that book a teensy bit better than Sophia, only because her sweetness, guilelessness and absolute trust in her hero, Grant, was a bit more relatable to me. However, I liked Ross, the hero of this book a teensy bit more than Grant… well… because he’s almost too awesome for words. The overall story of Lady Sophia’s Lover focused a little more strongly on the actual romance, which is always a plus, not to mention the love scenes were absolutely scorchingly sensual and borderline erotic, which was wonderful, too. So in the end, I couldn’t help ranking this one just a little higher than the last book, and I raised my GoodReads rating (which was originally provided long after I’d read it using my faulty memory :-)) from 4.5 to the full 5 stars.

Sophia is basically all alone in the world. Although born a lady, her parents died when she and her brother were young and there were no other relatives to take them in. They grew up running the streets of the local village, pretty much being hellions, until a distant relation took Sophia in but treated her more like a servant. Sophia’s brother wouldn’t accompany her, so he continued with his wild ways, heading for London and falling in with some rough characters, which led to him eventually going to prison for pickpocketing, where he died. Sophia was seduced by a silver-tongued devil who took her innocence and left her ruined, causing her relative to throw her out. With nothing left to keep her going except her need for vengeance against the magistrate who gave her brother the harsh sentence that led to his demise, Sophia applies for the job of Ross’s Bow Street secretary with the intention of using her position to try to dig up dirt on the Runners and on Ross, the magistrate she loathes, that would discredit them in the eyes of the public. She also hopes to seduce Ross and get him to fall in love with her, so she can break his heart by walking away and show him how much it hurts. Unfortunately all her plans begin to unravel when she starts to realize that Ross isn’t the man she thought he was. In fact, he keeps surprising her at every turn by doing the exact opposite of what she expects.

Sophia is a strong heroine, who has been through a lot but still holds her head high. She is by rights a lady, but she long ago made peace with her lot in life and is very capable in her job, not only as secretary, but also taking charge of Ross’ private residence, too. I like that she is a reasonable person, who gradually abandons her vendetta as she falls in love with Ross. She also shows the right balance between someone who is no longer virginal, but who isn’t vastly experienced in the bedroom either, while welcoming Ross’ almost overwhelming passion. She’s a woman who can be very kind and forgiving. Her only slight downfall is that I wish she’d been able to trust Ross more, but when I took into account her background and all that had happened to her, I suppose trust wouldn’t be an easy thing for someone in her position. For that reason, I think I appreciated her more the second time around, because I was able to see more of the depth in her character that I perhaps missed the first time, and I liked what I saw.

Though not an aristocrat, Ross is a wealthy man who is good at balancing the two worlds in which he lives, one where he rubs elbows with the aristocracy, and the other where he deals with the criminal element of London and the surrounding areas. He does the work of several men, always pushing himself to be the best he can be. I believe some of his workaholic nature can be attributed to the devastating loss of his first wife, whom he loved dearly, and their baby, both of whom died in childbirth. I think a part of him has been trying to drown out that pain, while also trying to work off some of the unspent energy that is a result of him being the “monk of Bow Street.” Rakes and rogues are a dime a dozen in romance, so I absolutely adored Ross for choosing to be celibate for so long. He simply doesn’t wish to sully the beauty of the love he shared with his first wife by going to a prostitute, not to mention, in his position, he knows how hard it is for many of the “working women,” and doesn’t want to add to that problem. Ross is like a chivalrous knight of old, always looking out for those weaker then he is, and always holding himself to a high standard. He’s highly respected by the men who work for him, and he’s able to exert absolute command over them without being a tyrant. He was also suitably appalled by the idea that he might have given too harsh a sentence to Sophia’s brother when he learns the truth. To his family and the men at Bow Street, he’s very reserved and perhaps even a bit stodgy. No one would ever believe that underneath that outward restraint is an incredibly passionate man who’s an amazing lover. That means that no one really knows just what a wonderful man he is except for the one woman upon whom he showers all that passion and affection, which I think is adorable. Ross is also a very kind, understanding and forgiving man, who never passes judgment on Sophia for her past or for her shortcomings. Ross is a prince among men and has definitely earned a spot on my favorite heroes list.

Lady Sophia’s Lover also has a few supporting characters worth noting. First, Grant (Someone to Watch Over Me) plays an important role, as he learns his job as assistant magistrate and becomes the man to whom Ross considers handing over the reins of Bow Street. He’s also a loyal friend to Ross. Jacob Linley, the dreamboat doctor put in a couple of appearances. He becomes the hero of the novella Against the Odds, which is considered the final story in the Gambler’s of Cravens series. Last but most definitely not least, is the infamous Nick Gentry, who is basically Ross’s sworn enemy. Kind of like Ross, Nick has a foot in two different worlds, although one of his worlds is quite illegal. On the upside, he’s set himself up as a thief-taker, who is revered by many of the lower classes of London for getting dangerous criminals off the streets. However, he has many underworld ties and is caught up in some criminal activities as well. Nick also has some big secrets that we learn during the course of the story. I can’t quite recall what I thought of Nick the first time I read this book. He comes off as a mixture of both charming and arrogant. Once his secrets start to emerge, I felt some sympathy for him and couldn’t help rooting for him, but at the same time, he isn’t particularly repentant about the bad things he’s done, at least not yet. I do recall, though, that he ended up capturing my heart as the hero of the final book of the series, Worth Any Price, which I can’t wait to re-read.

Lady Sophia’s Lover ended up being an incredible re-read and a great wrap-up to my April reading. It’s chock full of the deeply romantic interactions I crave in romance. Sophia is a heroine I could admire for her ability to forgive and abandon her own selfish agenda in favor of true love and also for the way in which she is able to read Ross and offer him the support he needs. Ross is a beautiful hero inside and out, a genuinely honorable man. He’s also a dream lover, who can be very creative with his love-making. The love scenes are fulled with lots and lots of steam, so be forewarned to have a cool drink, a fan, and/or a willing a partner on hand for those.;-) I loved every minute I spent reading this book, and without hesitation, would definitely read it again and again in the future. I can’t recommend it and the entire series highly enough to lovers of steamy historical romance. ( )
  mom2lnb | May 19, 2017 |
Kleypas remains reliably delightful. It is rare that I don't thoroughly enjoy my time with her characters and Ross and Sophia were extra fun, smart and sexy. Vacation time well spent. ( )
  Narshkite | Jan 8, 2017 |
Lady Sophia's Lover
4 Stars

Lady Sophia Sydney is out for vengeance against the man she holds responsible for her brother’s death: Sir Ross Cannon - Chief Magistrate and leader of the Bow Runners. Sophia’s plan is to seduce Ross and destroy him both personally and professionally. However, a wrench is soon put into these plans when Sophia realizes that Ross is not the man she thought and finds herself falling in love with him.

The first 2/3 is simply spectacular. Ross is an incredible hero - intelligent, kind hearted, honorable and a born leader. He starts out quite stoic but softens as Sophia gets past all of his defenses and he realizes that she is everything he never knew he always wanted. Sophia is an engaging heroine and her chemistry with Ross is off the charts sensual. Their growing emotional and physical attachment makes for entertaining reading.

Unfortunately, the plot takes a slight turn for the worse toward the end when Sophia undergoes an a disappointing character reversal - keeping secrets, telling lies and being all round weak and insipid. Where did the strong willed, independent and caring heroine of most of the book disappear to?

Despite this shortcoming and the fact that the twist in the tale is rather obvious, Lady Sophia’s Lover is a well-written and enjoyable read. Looking forward to the last book in the trilogy.

Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Sir Ross is so hot!! I believe he is one of my favorite men by Lisa Kleypas! The way he loves Sophia is breathtaking! The sex scenes were very intense and passionate, my favorite was the horse chair scene, though all of them were original and inventive. I felt sorry for Sophia's brother, Nick/John, his life was a total nightmare. I'm looking forward to see how he will evolve and change in the 3rd book of the series "Worth Any Price", I think he will make an interesting character and a lover, he might be even like Derek Craven from "Dreaming of You". They kind of share the same background. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duerden, SusanReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ménage, NicoleTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlčková, JanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my editor, Lucia Macro
Thank you for your guidance, friendship, and the wonderful enthusiasm for our work together that I have never taken for granted.
Sometimes in life we are blessed with the appearance of the right person at the right time… and at a difficult crossroads in my career, that was you.
Only an editor with your talent could have helped me to find my direction, and what’s more, you’ve even kept me on track. How lucky I am to have you.
With thanks and love always, L.K
It had been too long since he had bedded a woman.

Why is Lady Sophia looking for a lover?
And could she seduce the most marriageable man in London?

Lady Sophia Sydney would do anything to ensnare the unattainable Sir Ross Cannon. Her goal -- to ruin his reputation and cause a scandal that would be the talk of all London. So she insinuates herself into his life by gaining his trust and living in his house.

Every morning, her lush presence tempts him beyond all reason...the way she bends over the table to serve him the meals she has prepared...the way her hands oh, so gently -- yet sensuously -- brush against him. Every night, she promises with her eyes -- and her body -- that the hours before dawn could be spent in unbridled passion instead of restless sleep -- if only he'd let her share his bed.

She knows he is falling more in love with her each day. But she never counted on falling in love with him. And she never dreamed he might very respectably ask for her hand in marriage...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380811065, Mass Market Paperback)

Why is Lady Sophia looking for a lover?
And
could she seduce the most marriageable man in London?

Lady Sophia Sydney would do anything to ensnare the unattainable Sir Ross Cannon. Her goal—to ruin his reputation and cause a scandal that would be the talk of all London. So she insinuates herself into his life by gaining his trust and living in his house.

Every morning, her lush presence tempts him beyond all reason...the way she bends over the table to serve him the meals she has prepared...the way her hands oh, so gently—yet sensuously—brush against him. Every night, she promises with her eyes—and her body— that the hours before dawn could be spent in unbridled passion instead of restless sleep—if only he'd let her share his bed.

Are you ready to be seduced by New York Times Bestselling author Lisa Kleypas and her most compelling love story yet?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:06 -0400)

Lady Sophia Sydney schemes to ruin Sir Ross Cannon, but finds herself falling in love with him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,166,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible