Burn: An Anna Pigeon Novel (Anna Pigeon…

Burn: An Anna Pigeon Novel (Anna Pigeon Mysteries) (edition 2011)

by Nevada Barr (Author)

Member:ffortsa
Title:Burn: An Anna Pigeon Novel (Anna Pigeon Mysteries)
Authors:Nevada Barr (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, 480 pages
Collections:ebook, Mysteries

Burn by Nevada Barr

I've decided to list Burn by Nevada Barr even though I only read the first 80 pages or so, and then the end. That was the one that prompted my comments elsewhere about so many mystery stories these days being about child abuse and abduction. Not that it doesn't exist, but that I'm tired of having my emotions played that way over and over. There are awful people in the world, true - but that's not the only thing worthy of the genre.
  ffortsa | Sep 14, 2018 |
It's been a long time since I read this book but I have read the entire series, up until the most current book and I really like it. I love how the series is set outdoors in the different parks. If you like C.J. Box, then you'll like Barr too. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
I've always wanted to like Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon books, but have had a hard time liking her main character. This latest novel did me in. Besides the unlikeable Anna, the prose was trying to hard--too many allegories, too much mood. I gave up and moved on to Ridley Pearson ( )
  debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |
Anna Pigeon is staying with a blind friend who sings at New Orleans historical aprk while she's recovering from recent traumas. Anna becomes involved in helping a woman search for her children who she believes have been kidnapped into the child sex slave trade. I didn't like this book as much as others in the series because Anna was trapped in a city the whole time. The books are much more interesting when they involve Anna being out in the wilderness. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
The only Nevada Barr book that I truly did not like. Maybe because it wasn't in a national park and she wasn't Ranger Anna? I never grew attached to Jordan/Clare and didn't find myself caring whether or not she got her children back. As someone who loves the religious undercurrent of New Orleans, I did enjoy those parts ( )
  skinglist | Jul 19, 2015 |
For my dearest
Deb and Ed, whom I have loved
since we were all young and
magnificently foolish
Shit, Blackie, this one's dead, too.

Anna Pigeon is on leave from her job after a traumatic past couple of months. It seems like the perfect time to pay a visit to her old colleague Geneva, who now works as a jazz singer in the Big Easy. But Anna isn't in town long before she crosses paths with Geneva's neighbor, Jordan, who gives her the creeps. Then Anna discovers a gruesomely killed pigeon marked with runic symbols, Is this a dark coincidence - or has she been cursed?

Now it will take all of Anna's skills learned in the untamed outdoors to navigate the post-Katrina urban jungle in which she finds herself. Tied up in all of this evil magic are the "gutter punk" Jordan; Clare, a fugitive mother accused of killing her family in a fire; and faint whispers of unpleasant goings-on in the heart of the slowly recovering city...

Recovering from the emotional scars of recent traumas, National Park Service ranger Anna Pigeon goes to stay with her friend, Geneva, in New Orleans, only to become the target of a dark curse, prompting her to investigate what is has to do with Geneva's creepy tenant and a fugitive mother accused of having killed her family.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,963,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible