Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, No. 8) by Janet…

Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, No. 8) (2002)

by Janet Evanovich

Series: Stephanie Plum (8)

English (61)  Tagalog (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (63)
This is the last of the batch of Plum novels I bought for $.50 each at a yard sale. So far I have only read part of the first one I got (the 3rd novel in the series). My impression is the price I paid was about right.
  antiquary | Sep 17, 2017 |
BOTTOM-LINE:
Not bad, but not the best
PLOT OR PREMISE:
Hard Eight (St. Martin's Press, 2010, ISBN/ASIN: B0017I1IZA, Plum (8)) is the eighth book in the Stephanie Plum series. In this one, she's looking for a missing mom and daughter whose grandmother could lose her house if the custody bond is violated.
WHAT I LIKED:
The story has the typical range of secondary characters, and an addition of a hard-core female bounty hunter along the lines of Ranger. And a hysterical attempted vehicular murder of the Easter Bunny.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
I don't much care for stories that involve moms/wives and children in jeopardy and being shuttled around like a tub of household effects in a move. Part of that is the ick factor, but part of it is the simplistic storyline and emotional range that is usually given to the characters -- the new "damsel in distress" plotline where someone has to come rescue them. I also didn't feel the intitial bad guys were fleshed out very well, particularly as they are easy to spot in fake masks and outfits, and the final boss felt like a comic book character.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Sep 1, 2017 |
Well, this was jam-packed and all over the place. It also hit me in the middle of the story - I enjoy it a lot more because I can easily picture the places she mentions. I know them. It's very poorly described for someone that doesn't know those places. But hey, I'll take that ending and run with it (all the way to the next book). ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
funny, funny, Step. Plum bounty hunter @ Rabbit - bad people

Fugitive Apprehension Agent Stephanie Plum has a big problem on her hands: Seven-year-old Annie Soder and her mother, Evelyn, have disappeared. Evelyn's estranged husband, Steven, a shady owner of a seedy bar, is not at all happy. During the divorce proceedings, he and Evelyn signed a child custody bond, and Steven is demanding the money guaranteed by the bond to find Annie. The money was secured by a mortgage on Evelyn's grandmother's house, and the True Blue Bonds Bail Agency wants to take possession of the house.

Finding a kidnapped child is not an assignment for a bounty hunter. But Evelyn's grandmother lives next door to Stephanie's parents, and Stephanie's mother and grandmother are not about to see their neighbor lose her house because of abduction.
  christinejoseph | Jul 23, 2016 |
A great read! Just like the other books in the series, this one kept me laughing out loud. :) I've been reading the Stephanie Plum books completely out of order (I started with 9, then 1, now 8), so this book was great because it filled me in on the *details* for events that are referred to in the future books (like Stephanie's one-nighter with Ranger!).

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Now, if I can just track down the rest of the series... ;) ( )
  HSContino | May 20, 2016 |

Janet Evanovichprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tarkka, HannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Here's to the great teams of the world:
Betty and Veronica, Stephanie and Lula, Ralph and Alice, and me and Jennifer Enderlin, my St. Martin's editor.
Thanks Jen...you're the greatest.
Op de geweldige teams die deze wereld rijk is:
Betty en Veronica, Stephanie en Lula, Ralph en Alicce,
en ikzelf en Jennifer Enderlin, mijn redactric van St. Martin's.
Bedankt, Jen...je bent de beste.
Met dank aan Ree Mancini,
die de titel voor dit boek suggereerde.
Lately, I've been spending a lot of time rolling on the ground with men who think a stiffy represents personal growth.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312983867, Mass Market Paperback)

In Hard Eight, Stephanie Plum picks up a case a little nastier than anything the wisecracking bounty hunter's seen before. Evelyn Soder and her young daughter have gone on the run, leaving an angry ex-husband who's planning to collect on a child custody bond that will leave Evelyn's grandmother homeless. Stephanie's first clue that there's more to it than that comes in the form of Eddie Abruzzi, a shady local businessman who warns her to butt out of the case. Stephanie doesn't scare easily, but when Abruzzi's henchmen leave a bag of snakes on her doorknob and tarantulas in her car, she has no choice but to call Ranger, the hunky man of mystery whom she already owes too many favors. Steph knows that Ranger will soon be calling in his marker, but with her ex- fiancé Joe Morelli out of the picture, that should be OK--shouldn't it? In the meantime, she's got other fugitives to catch, aided by the usual band of misfits, plus a bumbling correspondence-school lawyer who's developed the hots for Stephanie's sister, Valerie. And Steph's in for a surprise from her mother, who proves she's not above wielding a dangerous weapon to save her daughter's life.

Author Janet Evanovich has made a bold move in using a soupçon of child jeopardy to pull this series out of the comfortable but formulaic pattern it was threatening to fall into. It's still funny, and yes, some cars are destroyed, but now there's a real edge of darkness under the humor. Fans needn't fear, though: Jersey girl Stephanie is still full of sass and Tastykakes. --Barrie Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:45 -0400)

Hard Eight "Keeps up Evanovich's standards for over-the-top situations"-Chicago Tribune. "[A] must read...readers will want to finish this delightful work in one sitting."--Midwest Book Review. "Offers the best action yet."-Newark Star-Ledger. "The girl mercenary is as fresh as ever."-People. "Hard Eight is most emphatically not Raymond Chandler but, like his work, a piece of finely crafted prose."-San Francisco Chronicle. "Plum is one of fiction's most irresistible heroines."-Seattle Post Intelligencer. "Evanovich has certainly come a long way since One for the Money; her latest Stephanie Plum mystery merits a one-day national laydown on June 18."--Library Journal. "Well plotted and cleverly resolved...her wickedly funny characterizations and the intriguing love triangle are what keep her readers coming back for more."-Bookpage. "As close to summer escapism as you can get. Evanovich hits a high note with her newest...a great addition to a well-stocked beach bag."-Houston Chronicle. "A perfect summer vacation book...promises fun, laughter, and unforgettable characters...Evanovich delivers."-Tennessean (Nashville, TN). "Thrills mixed with lust, seasoned with humor: a delightful escape."-News & Record (Greensboro, NC). "Evanovich produces more than "beach reading". She writes rollicking, raunchy, hysterical fiction that is so real, you will laugh out loud and want to visit the Burg."-Rockwall County News. "Just when you think the adventures of Plum and company can't get any funnier or more convoluted, Janet Evanovich proves you wrong-nobody does it better!"-Romantic Times. Seven Up. "A madcap comic mystery-Jersey-girl style."-The New York Times. "Expect a laugh per page...Bottom line: Plum Pick."-People. "If you like your summer reads hot and sassy, try Seven Up."-Boston Herald. "Evanovich is the crown princess of detective fiction...Seven Up is brassy, comical, and light-hearted."-Bookpage. "Seven Up is funny, sexy, scary."-Booklist. "Edgy romance triangle, the loopy family relationships, or the bounty-hunting jobs that skate between absurdity and genuine tension."-Denver Post. "An adventurous, amusing ride...billed as a crime novel, it has the requisite intrigue and chase scenes, but is also seasoned with humor."-Oakland Press (Pontiac, MI). "[A] fast, funny, and first-rate tale."-Ft. Myers News Press. "Romantic and laugh-out-loud funny, this caper is the perfect summer antidote to serious reading."-St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "The dialogue's snappy...the pace is quick...Evanovich's great gift is an ability to create situations zany enough to provoke bursts of laughter."-Philadelphia Inquirer. "Marked by wise-cracking humor, eccentric characters, and a gritty urban New Jersey setting...Evanovich's 'Stephanie Plum' series attracts an ever-increasing number of fans with each book."-Library Journal. "Loads of fun...with laughs on every page."-USA Today. "Evanovich continues...her successful formula...[she] provides a beginning that illustrates all that is right with this series and an ending that ties the story together, gives us a dose of reality, and leaves us with a cliffhanger."-Chicago Tribune.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible