A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

A Dog's Purpose

by W. Bruce Cameron

Series: A Dog's Purpose (1)

Meh! I'm a dog person. I've hardly ever lived without a dog around. I created a web site about my dogs. I created a multi-page web site for one of my dogs (he even has his own email address). I made my students at Bunker Hill Community College create web sites about my dogs. I've trained and shown dogs. Basically, I couldn't live without a dog around, and am besotted by the damn things.

But this book was so cutsey and saccharine that I didn't much care for it. It was ok, but I kept finding other things to read so that my progress through this volume was quite slow. I think that's telling. So, anyway, if you like sappy, tear-jerking, feel-good stories that have dogs involved, you might find this one ok. If you prefer something more true to life, perhaps something else would be more appropriate. This is the first of a series of such books. It's unlikely I'll read any of the follow-on books.
1 vote lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
Synopsis:

Josh has a pregnant dog dumped on him and suddenly finds himself responsible for a mama dog and five puppies. He has never owned a dog before and has no idea what to do. He enlists the help of Kerri, who runs the local animal shelter. She promises to find good homes for the puppies as soon as they are old enough. As Kerri helps Josh raise the puppies romance blossoms between them.

My rating:
2/5

I am actually really annoyed at this book. Puppies and Christmas should be an auto 4/5 for me. But sadly not this book.
I loved the general premise of the story but I hated the way it was executed.
Let's start with the few things I did like.
1. There were dogs doing doggie things and they were awesome.
2. This is a clean romance. There is no sex and the relationship between Josh and Kerri wasn't overly sexualized.

That's about all I can say that worked for me in this book. And that makes me super sad.

So, why did I really really not love this book?
#1. I didn't like either Josh or Kerri in this book. Both had too much baggage for me to believe either were ready for a healthy romance. Kerri often was "sassy" to the point of being a real b-word. The book is told from Josh's perspective so Kerri ends up feeling underdeveloped.
Josh needed to see a therapist. Probably for five or so years before attempting a relationship.
I felt both characters had too much dark and complex stuff in their past for the light and fluffy Christmas story I thought I was getting.
#2. There is just bad thing after bad thing happening in the book. Some of it felt random and overall it felt like too much. I can appreciate that bad things have to happen to move the plot forward but this felt excessive.
#3. In the beginning of the book we are somewhat mislead about Josh. I would have preferred for the mislead to be the reality. What ended up being true about him I didn't like.

Overall I enjoyed the start of the book. I did not enjoy the middle and the ending. I liked the dog related stuff but not the Josh and Kerri stuff.

This book wasn't for me and I can't recommend. Even though it is dogs and Christmas and should be an auto enjoyable read. To me this was basically a train wreck of a book. ( )
  authorjanebnight | Feb 28, 2019 |
A sweet little Christmas story about a man who learns the purpose of dogs … and people.
A heart-warming tearjerker that was close to impossible to put down. ( )
  Edwina_Callan | Feb 17, 2019 |
This was such a heart rendering book that pulled at every emotion from sad, happy and at times funny. We all felt it was such an emotional read that at times it had some of us in tears. Told from the perspective of the dog who lived three different lives. From living with a dog hoarder, a faithful best man's friend that many of us could relate to and a service dog. It was an enlightening story that showed just how dedicated our dogs are, no matter what the circumstances are. They are loyal, loving and truly a man's best friend.

If you've ever lost a dog, this book will bring you much comfort during the difficult times while you mourn their loss. It makes us want to believe that our best friend served his purpose while with us, in the best possible way he could, with what seemed like such a short time on this earth. It was soothing to read when after living his first life the dog is reborn as a puppy with memories of his previous life that he carries with him while he finds another purpose to fulfill. In the end, everything comes full-circle which helps when grieving the loss of a dog.

I am a dog owner and have had many dogs but like Bailey in the book, we all seem to have that one special dog that we just bonded with. Mine was Harley. I'm so grateful he came into my life and I feel blessed that I was able to spend thirteen glorious years with him. He was constantly on my mind while I read this and I mentioned it at the meeting, and even though it's been three painful years since he passed, I began choking up, just mentioning his name and I had to abruptly end my discussion about him. After reading this book, I want to believe he is now giving the same love and loyalty to another family that he gave me.

My sweet boy Harley
For me, the ending was extremely sad and I did cry heavy tears when I finished reading it. With that said, it is a book that I will not soon forget. I know it will stay with me for years to come. A must read for every dog lover. ( )
  tinahogangrant | Feb 16, 2019 |
Written from the perspective of a dog, "A Dog's Purpose" is just as much about people as it is dogs. The main character in the story is reincarnated several times, but remembers his/her previous lives, owners and the skills he/she learned during those lives. Starting as Toby, Bailey, Ellie and then Buddy, he/she just wants to fullfill his/her purpose in life. The purpose varies with each reincarnation to a certain degree, but it always comes down to the human/dog relationship. There are a few disturbing situations in the book, just like there are in life, but overall the book is light and happy. Just like with humans, our experiences and relationships shape our life, so they do with dogs. I laughed and I cried while reading this book and I as looked down at my dog with his head on my leg at the end, I wondered what his thoughts about his purpose in life might be. I recommend any pet owner or animal lover read this book. I also recommend you read it before you see the movie coming out later this month. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |

W. Bruce Cameronprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beleites, EdithÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dufris, WilliamReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hölsken, NicoleHerausgebersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, George K.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Cathryn
For doing everything, for being everything
One day it occurred to me that the warm, squeaky, smelly things squirming around next to me were my brothers and sister.

Bailey starts out life as a mutt named Toby, but after a short existence is reincarnated into a golden retriever who finds a loving home with 8-year-old Ethan. Bailey loves Ethan eagerly and without bounds — as only a dog truly can — and believes that this must be his purpose; this must be why he was reborn. But after a long life with the boy, Bailey dies yet again — and is reborn as a German Shepherd police dog. As Bailey ponders his new existence and what his new purpose must be, the bond he had with Ethan never wavers and he misses the boy desperately. “How could I possibly have a more important mission than loving the boy?” he wonders. Yet he begins the journey of life again, searching for its meaning, and always on the lookout for Ethan.

This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog’s search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, A Dog’s Purpose touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here?

Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden-haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey’s search for his new life’s meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8-year-old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog.

But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey’s journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders—will he ever find his purpose?

Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh-out-loud funny, A Dog's Purpose is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's-eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This moving and beautifully crafted story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Searching for his purpose over the course of multiple canine lives, Bailey is reborn as a golden-haired puppy after a tragic death as a stray and shares a loving bond with young Ethan before he again dies and starts over.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

W. Bruce Cameron's book A Dog's Purpose was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,763,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible