Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham,…

Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Matthew Syed

Member:nicolemuratov
Title:Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success
Authors:Matthew Syed
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: First Edition, First Printing, Hardcover, 320 pages

Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success by Matthew Syed (2010)

English (11)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (13)
Bounce made me rethink (still in progress) how I approach my day to day activities. Which ones I would like to get good at? And which ones I would just like to enjoy while passing time? Which ones I would continue to enjoy while improving my skills?

The chapter about purposeful practice is very useful for anyone playing a musical instrument.

The last chapter was a cherry on the cake: ethics of human augmentation. ( )
  automatthias | Jun 19, 2017 |
An interesting book about how people like Mozart and Federer really got good (hint: it's not because they were naturally good or had innate talent). ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
Most of this book I found interesting. The premise that you need 10,000 hours of focussed, interested practice that extends you, rather than repeating the first hour 10,000 times was probably what I got most from this book. I found the sections on African runners a little bit off topic and the section on East German athletes strangely voyeuristic and sensationalistic.

His observations from his own perspective as a top level athlete were mostly good, though there were times when it didn't flow as evenly as it could have.

I had the impression that it was a series of essays rather than a cohesive book. ( )
  devilish2 | Oct 27, 2013 |
Very enjoyable. Why are some people so successful at physical things, but others are not. Author gives a convincing argument in relation to training and practice. Really enjoyed the insight to the implicit versus explicit mind. Really gives credance to the phrase, "He's thinking too much." I hear that a lot,and now I can explain the science behind it. Really enjoyed about combinatorial explosion and how people can visualize things. ( )
  bermandog | Aug 15, 2013 |
Good literary non-fiction work, which draws together findings of several scient;ts (Ericsson, tc.) to support the idea that 10 years practice is what leads to expertise and that that genetics do not play a strong role in predicting sports success. ( )
  celerydog | May 22, 2013 |
For Dilys
In January 1995, I became the British number-one table tennis player for the very first time which, I am sure you will agree, is a heck of an achievement.

Everyone knows that David Beckham crosses the ball better than anyone else and that Tiger Woods never "chokes". But what are the hidden factors which allow the most successful sports stars to rise above their competitors -- and are they shared by virtuosos in other fields? In Bounce Matthew Syed - an award-winning Times columnist and three-time Commonwealth table-tennis champion - reveals what really lies behind world-beating achievement in sport, and other walks of life besides. The answers - taking in the latest in neuroscience, psychology and economics - will change the way we look at sports stars and revolutionise our ideas about what it takes to become the best. From the upbringing of Mozart to the mindset of Mohammed Ali - via the recruitment policies of Enron - Bounce weaves together fascinating stories and telling insights and statistics into a wonderfully thought-provoking read. Bounce looks at big questions - such as the real nature of talent, what kind of practice actually works, how to achieve motivation, drugs in both sport and life, and whether black people really are faster runners. Along the way Matthew talks to a Hungarian father whose educational theories saw his daughters become three of the best chess players of all time, meets a female East German athlete who became a man, and explains why one small street in Reading - his own - has produced more top table-tennis players than the rest of Britain put together. Fresh, ground-breaking and tackling subjects with broad appeal, Bounce is sure to be one of the most talked about books of the year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:16 -0400)

In this thoughtful, provocative book, a former Olympian persuasively demonstrates how sports offer powerful and often overlooked tools with which to explore fundamental subjects, including biology, morality, globalization, culture, gender, race, and economics.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,535,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible