Eugène Atget by Eugene Atget
With the marvelous lens of dream and surprise, Atget "saw" (that is to say, photographed) practically everything about him, in and outside of Paris, with the vision of a poet. --Berenice AbbottAtget's photographs are unparalleled in their lucid realism and lyrical response to the pulse of the city and to the artifacts of human life in almost every social class. His images of parks, lakes, shop windows, vendors, prostitutes, buildings, sculpture and Paris street scenes go beyond documentation to a poetic vision of an era. Atget created some of the most beautifully articulated images of light and space ever made with a camera.… (more)

The introduction provides a brief but informative introduction to the work of Atget. The photos selected for this volume are representative but not necessarily his best. Still, I found nine that I marked for a revisit the next time I pull this volume off the shelf. I particularly appreciated Bar De Cabaret (page 25), Pont des Belles Fontaines, Juvisy (page 33), and Storefront (page 67) ( )
  Tatoosh | Feb 23, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,688,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible