One for the Money (A Stephanie Plum Novel)…

One for the Money (A Stephanie Plum Novel) (original 1994; edition 2006)

by Janet Evanovich

Member:ILuvCats91
Title:One for the Money (A Stephanie Plum Novel)
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2006), Paperback, 352 pages

One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, No. 1) by Janet Evanovich (1994)

First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones (SunnySD)
    The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz (KingRat, Candice_oxo)
    KingRat: Lisa Lutz' Spellman files has many of the same kind of "zany" characters and plot elements, but with a harder edge.
    Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie (Aula)
    Aula: The same kind of quick, witty banter between the hero and heroine; same light reading; similiar mystery storyline; good secondary characters that add to the love interest rather than detract.
    Bubbles A Broad by Sarah Strohmeyer (glade1)
    glade1: Similar, working-class heroines with humor and zany adventures
    Body Movers by Stephanie Bond (sjmccreary)
    sjmccreary: Both these series feature slightly ditzy fashion-focused women trying to solve mysteries that are really beyond their abilities. Funny, with wacky cast of characters.
    Whiskey Sour by J. A. Konrath (Scottneumann)
    Sink or Swim by Stacy Juba (magelet87)
    magelet87: Both have the same flirty, carefree-but-still-a-mystery book vibe going on.
    B Is for Burglar by Sue Grafton (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Strong female main characters with a bit of humor.
    Peepshow by Leigh Redhead (Maid_Marian)
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Ok, so the genre isn't really the same, but I feel like people who enjoy Evanovich's characters and their interaction with each other will enjoy those same qualities in Wooding's series. Both are very funny books about a set of characters who are trying to achieve things that are really beyond them.… (more)
    Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria Laurie (leahsimone)
    Knock Off by Rhonda Pollero (marschaaahhh)
    marschaaahhh: Similar humour and odd characters.

English (311)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  All (314)
A perfect light read that made me laugh! ( )
  jnetnoe | May 8, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book! It made me laugh out loud numerous times!!! Can't wait to read the next in the series! ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
This was a very quick and easy read. I loved the humor and the fast pace that it was able to keep. I will definitely read more of this series in the future.

This was a great book to read to help give me a break from some of the dark and gloomy bad places that I have been visiting in my books of late. ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
This book really wasn't that great but I wasn't even halfway done before I wanted to know how it ended. It's always a relief to pick up a book that keeps you holding on to the very last page regardless of how great the journey. ( )
  BEGivens | Mar 21, 2018 |
Well, I pegged the Who in whodunnit pretty easily with this one!

I'm very late to the game with Stephanie Plum. An easy read that takes place where I was born, but that's not enough to keep me invested in the rest of the series. I'm glad I gave it a chance, and grateful I didn't hate it. I've been known to continue hate-reading other series... ( )
  dariazeoli | Mar 21, 2018 |

Evanovich, Janetprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Estevez, HermanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petty, LoriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my husband, Peter - with love
There are some men who enter a woman's life and screw it up forever.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312362080, Paperback)

Stephanie Plum is so smart, so honest, and so funny that her narrative charm could drive a documentary on termites. But this tough gal from New Jersey, an unemployed discount lingerie buyer, has a much more interesting story to tell: She has to say that her Miata has been repossessed and that she's so poor at the moment that she just drank her last bottle of beer for breakfast. She has to say that her only chance out of her present rut is her repugnant cousin Vinnie and his bail-bond business. She has to say that she blackmailed Vinnie into giving her a bail-bond recovery job worth $10,000 (for a murder suspect), even though she doesn't own a gun and has never apprehended a person in her life. And she has to say that the guy she has to get, Joe Morelli, is the same creep who charmed away her teenage virginity behind the pastry case in the Trenton bakery where she worked after school.

If that hard-luck story doesn't sound compelling enough, Stephanie's several unsuccessful attempts at pulling in Joe make a downright hilarious and suspenseful tale of murder and deceit. Along the way, several more outlandish (but unrelentingly real) characters join the story, including Benito Ramirez, a champion boxer who seems to be following Stephanie Plum wherever she goes.

Janet Evanovich shares an authentic feel for the streets of Trenton in her debut mystery (she developed her talents in a string of romance novels before creating Ms. Plum), and her tough, frank, and funny first-person narrator offers a winning mix of vulgarity and sensitivity. Evanovich is certainly among the best of the new voices to emerge in the mystery field of the 1990s. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:13 -0400)

Watch out, world. Here comes Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter with attitude. In Stephanie's opinion, toxic waste, rabid drivers, armed schizophrenics, and August heat, humidity, and hydrocarbons are all part of the great adventure of living in Jersey. She's a product of the "burg," a blue-collar pocket of Trenton where houses are attached and narrow, cars are American, windows are clean, and (God forbid you should be late) dinner is served at six. Now Stephanie's all grown up and out on her own, living five miles from Mom and Dad's, doing her best to sever the world's longest umbilical cord. Her mother is a meddler, and her grandmother is a few cans short of a case.Out of work and out of money, with her Miata repossessed and her refrigerator empty, Stephanie blackmails her bail bondsman cousin, Vinnie, into giving her a try as an apprehension agent. Stephanie knows zilch about the job requirements, but she figures her new pal, fearless bounty hunter Ranger, can teach her what it takes to catch a crook. Her first assignment: nail Joe Morelli, a former vice cop on the run from a charge of murder one. Morelli is also the irresistible macho pig who took Stephanie's virginity at age sixteen and then wrote the details on the bathroom wall of Mario's Sub Shop. There's still powerful chemistry between these two, so the chase should be interesting.It could also be extremely dangerous, especially when Stephanie encounters a heavyweight title contender who likes to play rough. Benito Ramirez is known for his brutality to women. At the very least, his obsession with Stephanie complicates her manhunt and brings terror and uncertainty into her life. At worst, it could lead to murder. Witty, fresh, and full of surprises, One for the Money is among the most eagerly awaited crime novels of the season.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,540,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible