Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

Moon Over Manifest (2010)

by Clare Vanderpool

An excellent story, well written, entertaining and enlightening for it's historical context of the depression, prohibition and WW1. ( )
  trezzadude | Sep 7, 2016 |
Moon Over Manifest is a broad reaching story. Abilene Tucker (12) is sent to Manifest, Kansas by her father, who has gotten a job on the railroad in 1932, and needs to send her to a safe place for the summer. He trusts Shady, an odd character he knew in his childhood, to take care of his daughter.

But Abilene wants to use the time to find out more about her father, and what he was like as a child. However, he doesn't seem to have existed in this town. Although he grew up there, no trace of him is found.

Then Abilene begins to listen to stories told by an old Hungarian woman who remembers the times. But she will only tell stories her way. She isn't one for answering questions particularly. Between Miss Sadie's stories, and things Abilene and the two friends she made in town start discovering on their own, some questions get answered, but they usually lead to new questions.

It is a beautiful story, with vivid character development and wonderful plot twists (especially in the chapter "Day of Reckoning"). And every single little branch of the story is brought to a neatly wrapped conclusion. ( )
  fingerpost | Jul 11, 2016 |
Couldn't get into it... ( )
  euroclewis | Jun 8, 2016 |
I dunno. In the beginning it impressed me as only another plucky (pseudo) orphan story, but then it got more confusing with it's attempt to cover all sorts of history and explore lots of different characters with its gimmicks of layers. I'm afraid I just felt too frustrated with the technique of a story inside a story inside a mystery that's part of a story, with some characters existing in both eras, but as children and then adults, and other characters existing in only one era... and I never did catch why Abilene has that name or what happened to her mother...

I'm ranting on and on, sorry. But that's the way the book goes, honestly, so I guess it's apt. I believe Vanderpool should have written a two-book series, as she had so many ideas that she wanted to share.

And now I'll go read other reviews and see whether I'm the only one who feels this way.... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Moon Over Manifest is about a girl, Abilene, who is sent to Manifest to work while her father works at a railroad back at her hometown. Her first day of school is the last day, because she moves around a lot. Back at Shady's house, the person's house she is staying at looks for a place to put her pouch that is hidden. She finds a loose floorboard and finds that it already has something in it; a Lucky Sugar box. That's how it gets started. I liked this book because Clare Vanderpool used very emotional words. I didn't like it because the way she describes it doesn't show much detail. ( )
  Aliceshah | Apr 30, 2016 |
To Mother and Daddy,
for loving a good story, and a good laugh,
and for giving me a good life
The movement of the train rocked me like a lullaby.

The movement of the train rocked me like a lullaby. I closed my eyes to the dusty countryside and imagined the sign I’d seen only in Gideon’s stories: Manifest—a town with a rich past and a bright future.

Abilene Tucker feels abandoned. Her father has put her on a train, sending her off to live with an old friend for the summer while he works a railroad job. Armed only with a few possessions and her list of universals, Abilene jumps off the train in Manifest, Kansas, aiming to learn about the boy her father once was.

Having heard stories about Manifest, Abilene is disappointed to find that it’s just a dried-up, worn-out old town. But her disappointment quickly turns to excitement when she discovers a hidden cigar box full of mementos, including some old letters that mention a spy known as the Rattler. These mysterious letters send Abilene and her new friends, Lettie and Ruthanne, on an honest-to-goodness spy hunt, even though they are warned to “Leave Well Enough Alone.”

Abilene throws all caution aside when she heads down the mysterious Path to Perdition to pay a debt to the reclusive Miss Sadie, a diviner who only tells stories from the past. It seems that Manifest’s history is full of colorful and shadowy characters—and long-held secrets. The more Abilene hears, the more determined she is to learn just what role her father played in that history. And as Manifest’s secrets are laid bare one by one, Abilene begins to weave her own story into the fabric of the town.

Powerful in its simplicity and rich in historical detail, Clare Vanderpool’s debut is a gripping story of loss and redemption.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:16 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Abilene Tucker is the daughter of a drifter who, in the summer of 1936, sends her to stay with an old friend in Manifest, Kansas, where he grew up, and where she hopes to find out some things about his past.

208 wanted2 pay9 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,769,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible