Moon over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

Moon over Manifest (2010)

by Clare Vanderpool

Narrated by Jenna Lamia, with Cassandra Campbell and Kirby Heyborne. Abilene’s father sends her to Manifest, Kansas, to live with his old friend Shady for the summer while he is on a railroad job. Abilene doesn’t know much about her father’s childhood and hopes to learn more about who he was. She discovers some old letters and mementos at Shady’s that look promising but no one in town seems to have anything to say about Gideon. Then Miss Sadie the diviner begins to share some interesting tales about Manifest’s past. Abilene becomes invested in the stories and eventually finds out the impact Gideon had on the town. Jenna Lamia’s voices the story with a down-home, plain-spoken voice. The kids sound age-appropriate young and Abilene sounds like a girl who’s had an itinerant lifestyle…a no-frills girl, everything is compact like a life on the road. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
In 1936 Abilene's father sends her to Manifest while he continues working on the railroad line. She stays with Shady and is disappointed that she can't find any evidence of her father's time in Manifest. Abilene also fears that her father has abandoned her. She finds letters in her room from 1917 that connect to stories from the past that Miss Sadie the Diviner tells her.

I loved listening to this book. All of the characters were extremely interesting and likable. While I wasn't surprised to find out who Jinx was I was shocked to find out who Ned really was. I thought that was a clever but sad take on the story. I loved Hattie-May's newspaper columns and Ned's letters. I thought all of the audiobook narrators did a wonderful job. I also really enjoyed the author's notes at the end where we find out what is true and what is not. ( )

To Mother and Daddy,
for loving a good story, and a good laugh,
and for giving me a good life
The movement of the train rocked me like a lullaby.

The movement of the train rocked me like a lullaby. I closed my eyes to the dusty countryside and imagined the sign I’d seen only in Gideon’s stories: Manifest—a town with a rich past and a bright future.

Abilene Tucker feels abandoned. Her father has put her on a train, sending her off to live with an old friend for the summer while he works a railroad job. Armed only with a few possessions and her list of universals, Abilene jumps off the train in Manifest, Kansas, aiming to learn about the boy her father once was.

Having heard stories about Manifest, Abilene is disappointed to find that it’s just a dried-up, worn-out old town. But her disappointment quickly turns to excitement when she discovers a hidden cigar box full of mementos, including some old letters that mention a spy known as the Rattler. These mysterious letters send Abilene and her new friends, Lettie and Ruthanne, on an honest-to-goodness spy hunt, even though they are warned to “Leave Well Enough Alone.”

Abilene throws all caution aside when she heads down the mysterious Path to Perdition to pay a debt to the reclusive Miss Sadie, a diviner who only tells stories from the past. It seems that Manifest’s history is full of colorful and shadowy characters—and long-held secrets. The more Abilene hears, the more determined she is to learn just what role her father played in that history. And as Manifest’s secrets are laid bare one by one, Abilene begins to weave her own story into the fabric of the town.

Powerful in its simplicity and rich in historical detail, Clare Vanderpool’s debut is a gripping story of loss and redemption.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:16 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Abilene Tucker is the daughter of a drifter who, in the summer of 1936, sends her to stay with an old friend in Manifest, Kansas, where he grew up, and where she hopes to find out some things about his past.

225 wanted2 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,254,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible