Orphaned Worlds by Michael Cobley

Orphaned Worlds (edition 2011)

by Michael Cobley

Collections:Your library, Currently reading
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, science fiction, Humanity's Fire

The Orphaned Worlds by Michael Cobley

I wanted to like this more than I did, but all I can honestly give it is two stars. The first book was better, though still not great; the writing there was clunky, here in the second book it is grinding the gears.

Now I'm two books in and I know I'm going to read the third, just to finish. I have a weakness for hard sci-fi and space opera and the like... so fingers crossed. ( )
  dcunning11235 | Oct 17, 2016 |
Much better than book one. Still over-plotted but moves faster. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
Slightly confusing but good ( )
  libgirl69 | May 22, 2015 |
Well written, but slightly twee plot lines. Like the separate but interwoven strands/perspectives. Good enough that I'll have to read the final book of the trilogy, not so good that I'm completely looking forward to this. ( )
1 vote malcrf | Nov 4, 2012 |
Like in his previous novel in the Humanity's Fire series the narrative is multi stranded and, once again, that makes the story fragmented. A new ingredient to the eclectic mix of races in the scenario this time is the introduction of another set of aliens, the Legion of Avatars, who have been kept imprisoned in the depths of hyperspace for aeons but who are set to break out and wreak havoc.

In The Orphaned Worlds there is less emphasis laid on the Scots/Russian/Scandinavian planet of Darien and more on the interplanetary manoeuvrings - though at one point Cobley has one of the Scottish characters say, “no one strikes at us with impunity,” a nice restructuring of the old motto of the Kings of Scots.

There is once more a surfeit of plot, so much so that the writing can seem rushed. Its exigencies, the necessity of moving characters from place to place, leads to phrases such as “ten minutes later,” “after two hours,” “in half an hour,” abounding. Space for character development and exploration is thereby restricted. Those who prefer their plot to rampage, however, will find The Orphaned Worlds compelling. I wish though that Cobley had not chosen the name Uvovo for the aboriginal inhabitants of Darien. It reminds me too much of Vic and Bob’s Shooting Stars.

Being the mid part of a trilogy there is some sense of marking time, of things moving into place. The denouement is, of necessity, not really conclusive but it nevertheless makes sense in terms of this book while setting up the trilogy’s final volume The Ascendant Stars.
added by jackdeighton | editA Son Of The Rock, Jack Deighton (Nov 6, 2010)

At last this one is for David Wingrove, Steadfast friend, Ace writer

As a new war threatens to erupt on the world of Darien, an outpost of intergalactic struggle, servants of malignant intelligences work feverishly to release these beings from their hyperspace prison.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,524,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible