HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Hedge Knight (1998)

by George R. R. Martin

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
Ser Duncan the Tall
Not so bright, but full of heart
I see you, Brienne. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
This is actually three short stories about a hedge night Dunk and his squire Egg, taking place about a 100 years before Games of Thrones. Interesting adventures and from the authors note there will be more stories to come. Also lots of beautiful illustrations. This first story is how Dunk and Egg met and Egg became Dunik's squire
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
A really enjoyable view of Westeros from Dunk's point of view. A simple honorable knight, really experiencing gentry for the first time. The right decision is somehow easy for him to make. Follow the Knight's code. Pretty straightforward. I found myself wishing for more of these tales... and forgot there are several of them. An enjoyable mind-slip. On to the next one! (Crap, are there only 3?) ( )
  LongTrang117 | Oct 6, 2017 |
I’m not a big fantasy fan. I have nothing at all against it – it’s just that I enjoy good science fiction more than I enjoy good fantasy. I’ve read and enjoyed Middlearth, The Magician, Tigana, etc. But then came George R.R. Martin. Several people told me to read the first book in his "A Song of Ice and Fire" saga, "A Game of Thrones". I finally succumbed to the thousand-pager, and I'm now hooked, impatiently waiting for Martin to finish the sixth book in the series to finally read the fifth, "A Dance with Dragons" (it awaits the publication of the "The Winds of Winter" and "A Dream of Spring" to be tackled...).

"The Hedge Knight", "The Sworn Sword" and "The Mystery Knight" are set one years before "A Game of Thrones". As is usual in his books, although the plot is good, it pales before his ability to tell a story. Storytelling in high gear... Better yet, one notices people, events and places which will become key in the future. Details and major story lines are equally weaved into "The Hedge Knight" and I've discovered why the Fossoways had a red and a green apple in their shield, and the start of the chain of events which will put the Mad King in the throne...

Not only for fans of "A Song of Fire and Ice" Saga.

"Sworn Sword" and "The Mystery Knight" are on next...

antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
Now watching Game of Thrones, I thought I would read this prequel tale from an anthology called "Legends." I grew a little impatient with it, as I guess I'm not much into knights and duels (unless I am already particularly invested in the characters), but it turned out to be enjoyable enough. I have a feeling, now knowing Dunk and Egg, that I would enjoy the next tale more. This one seemed to set the stage: "how Dunk and Egg came to be companions..." ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
Les pluies de printemps avaient amolli le sol, si bien que Dunk n'avait aucun mal à creuser la tombe.
Before being adapted into a six-issue comic series and a graphic novel, "The Hedge Knight" was published in the "Legends" anthology of 1998.

De Hagenridder is a Dutch translation of the novella The Hedge knight.

These are not the comic edition, please do not combine with the comics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,805,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible