At Home: A Short History of Private Life by…

At Home: A Short History of Private Life

by Bill Bryson

The Victorian House : domestic life from childbirth to deathbed by Judith Flanders (digifish_books, Booksloth)
    digifish_books: A more detailed room-by-room consideration of domestic life in Victorian Britain
    A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson (petterw)
    petterw: Same style, same author, same enthusiasm, same fun
    Schott's Original Miscellany by Ben Schott (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: Bryson likes to wander from one topic to another, and toss in bits of trivia and history. Schott's Miscellany is a fascinating collection of trivia without the attempt to thread it together.
    Home; a Short History of an Idea by Witold Rybczynski (liao)
    Servants: A Downstairs History of Britain from the Nineteenth Century to Modern Times by Lucy Lethbridge (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Bryson's discussion of the development of the home from a more open, collaborative space to a warren of special-purpose rooms as the concept of "privacy" became more important dovetails nicely with Lethbridge's discussion of the increasing physical separation between servants and the served in 18th and 19th century British homes.… (more)
    If Walls Could Talk: An Intimate History of the Home by Lucy Worsley (Booksloth)
    Nails, Noggins and Newels: An Alternative History of Every House by Bill Laws (meggyweg)
    Rain: A Natural and Cultural History by Cynthia Barnett (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Tangential histories of commonplace things.
    Up and Down Stairs: The History of the Country House Servant by Jeremy Musson (meggyweg)
    The Archaeology of Home: An Epic Set on a Thousand Square Feet of the Lower East Side by Katharine Greider (Othemts)
    House Thinking: A Room-by-Room Look at How We Live by Winifred Gallagher (jcbrunner)
    jcbrunner: Adds the developments of the 20th century to Bryson's story (from a US point of view).
    In Small Things Forgotten: An Archaeology of Early American Life by James Deetz (Othemts)
    How Buildings Learn: What Happens After They're Built by Stewart Brand (Othemts)
    London 1849: A Victorian Murder Story by Michael Alpert (meggyweg)

English (201)  Dutch (4)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (216)
[a:Bill Bryson|7|Bill Bryson|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1189096502p2/7.jpg] is always a greatly enjoyable read. I've read and reviewed several of his books in the past, and most likely will continue to read and review his books as long as he continues to write them. This book, [b:At Home A Short History of Private Life|7507825|At Home A Short History of Private Life|Bill Bryson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1285287802s/7507825.jpg|7800569] I picked up at the library several days ago and roundly devoured.

This history, while particularly focused on the house that [a:Bill Bryson|7|Bill Bryson|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1189096502p2/7.jpg] himself lived in in England for a time, is also surprisingly wide-sweeping. I recognized much of the history I previously encountered in [a:Peter Ackroyd|16881|Peter Ackroyd|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1232835556p2/16881.jpg]'s [b:London A Biography|401917|Jack London Biography, A|Daniel Dyer|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1328861765s/401917.jpg|391321] which I found particularly pleasing. The history is beginning to sink in - hooray!

[a:Bill Bryson|7|Bill Bryson|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1189096502p2/7.jpg] writes with a darling irreverence. He's entertaining, incredibly amusing, and quite insightful at the same time. He has a great eye for the small hilarity that makes the history he writes particularly memorable, and also tends to answer the strange questions that one never quite wants to give voice to.

Did Otto Titzsling invent the bra? Read this book and you'll find out.

Let's see how many people pick it up based on that alone. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
3.5 ( )
  JennyR-WY | May 27, 2018 |
Well,I couldn't finish this book which was very disappointing to me. I usually love Bill Bryson and his quirky humourous take on things but this book was neither quirky or humourous. It read like a history text book and I found I just couldn't keep going with it.
  LindaWeeks | May 14, 2018 |
Bryson moved into an old English parsonage and as he was exploring some interesting areas (why is there a door in the attic that leads to nowhere?) he decided to do some research into the history of "home" as we in the modern world understand it. It was really fascinating and I couldn't put it down. Sometimes he got a bit repetitive, and sometimes I lost his train of thought...it was hard to grasp the connection between what he was writing and the section of the house in which he started that specific chapter. That might not make sense, but read it and I think you'll know what I mean. However, Bryson is one of my favs and I love it when he rambles, so even if I got lost it was still pleasurable. Great read. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Not one of his funny travels books but a very interesting history book. Looking back on all the things which have led to what we now know as the modern home. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
“At Home” is baggy, loose-jointed and genial. It moves along at a vigorously restless pace, with the energy of a Labrador retriever off the leash, racing up to each person it encounters, pawing and sniffing and barking at every fragrant thing, plunging into icy waters only to dash off again, invigorated. You do, somehow, maintain forward momentum and eventually get to the end. Bryson is fascinated by everything, and his curiosity is infectious.

Bryson is certainly famous enough to have got away with a far less bulging compendium. Instead, on our behalf, he’s been through those hundreds of books (508 according to the bibliography) some of which even the most assiduous readers among us might never have got around to: Jacques Gelis’s History of Childbirth: Fertility, Pregnancy and Birth in Early Modern Europe, say, or John A Templer’s The Staircase: Studies of Hazards, Falls and Safer Designs. He’s then extracted their most arresting material and turned the result into a book that, for all its winning randomness, is not just hugely readable but a genuine page-turner — mainly because you can’t wait to see what you’ll find out next.

Bill Brysonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Collica, MichaelDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keenan, JamieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murillo, IsabelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jesse & Wyatt
Introduction

Some time after we moved into a former Church of England rectory in a village of tranquil anonymity in Norfolk, I had occasion to go up into the attic to look for the source of a slow but mysterious drip.
Chapter I
The Year

In the autumn of 1850, in Hyde Park in London, there arose a most extraordinary structure: a giant iron-and-glass greenhouse covering nineteen acres of ground and containing within its airy vastness enough room for four St. Paul's Cathedrals.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0767919386, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2010: Bill Bryson (A Short History of Nearly Everything) turns his attention from science to society in his authoritative history of domesticity, At Home: A Short History of Private Life. While walking through his own home, a former Church of England rectory built in the 19th century, Bryson reconstructs the fascinating history of the household, room by room. With waggish humor and a knack for unearthing the extraordinary stories behind the seemingly commonplace, he examines how everyday items--things like ice, cookbooks, glass windows, and salt and pepper--transformed the way people lived, and how houses evolved around these new commodities. "Houses are really quite odd things," Bryson writes, and, luckily for us, he is a writer who thrives on oddities. He gracefully draws connections between an eclectic array of events that have affected home life, covering everything from the relationship between cholera outbreaks and modern landscaping, to toxic makeup, highly flammable hoopskirts, and other unexpected hazards of fashion. Fans of Bryson's travel writing will find plenty to love here; his keen eye for detail and delightfully wry wit emerge in the most unlikely places, making At Home an engrossing journey through history, without ever leaving the house. --Lynette Mong

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:45 -0400)

Bryson (A Short History of Nearly Everything) takes readers on a tour of his house, a rural English parsonage, showing how each room has figured in the evolution of private life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,082,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible