Sherlock Holmes by Robert Downey Jr.

Sherlock Holmes (original 2009; edition 2014)

by Robert Downey Jr. (Actor), Jude Law (Actor), Rachel McAdams (Actor), Mark Strong (Actor), Eddie Marsan (Actor)1 more, Guy Ritchie (Director)

After finally catching serial killer and occult 'sorcerer' Lord Blackwood, legendary sleuth Sherlock Holmes and his assistant Dr. Watson can close yet another successful case. After his execution, Blackwood mysteriously returns from the grave and resumes his killing spree, Holmes must take up the hunt once again. Contending with Watson's new fiancée and the dimwitted head of Scotland Yard, the determined detective must unravel the clues that will lead him into a twisted web of murder, deceit, and black magic, not to mention the deadly embrace of temptress Irene Adler.… (more)
Member:Anne.Hoffman
Title:Sherlock Holmes
Authors:Robert Downey Jr. (Actor)
Other authors:Jude Law (Actor), Rachel McAdams (Actor), Mark Strong (Actor), Eddie Marsan (Actor), Guy Ritchie (Director)
Info:Warner Home Video (2010), Edition: Standard Edition

Work Information

Sherlock Holmes [2009 film] by Guy Ritchie (Director) (2009)

Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Screenplay by Michael Robert Johnson, Anthony Peckham and Simon Kingberg
Directed by Guy Ritchie

Colour. 128 min.

=========================================

Basically, Sherlock Holmes meets Rambo, James Bond and Bruce Lee; Conan Doyle meets Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley and, above all, Dan Brown; ergo, the movie’s title is nothing more than a piece of very dishonest marketing. I don’t mind that. I expected it. What I didn’t expect was anything so dull. The plot – if that’s the word – takes half an hour to get going, then moves with the speed of a sleepy snail, finally resolves into staggering nonsense and, worst of all, is constantly diluted with Watson’s future marriage to Mary someone and Holmes’s present romance with Irene Adler (no, nothing in common with the formidable lady from “A Scandal in Bohemia”). Some scenes try to be comic. I see the attempt. I don’t see the result. Others try to be dark and scary. They manage to be comic. That’s an achievement of sorts. The dialogue is a masterpiece. It takes genius to write a talky two-hour movie without a single memorable line. The cast cannot be blamed under the circumstances. But Downey Jr. is truly remarkable. He thinks acting is made of mumbling and staring. It isn’t. Law at least tries; but with a script like that he can’t win. Ritchie directs the whole debacle with a frantic urgency which is exciting for some time but quite tedious all the time. All in all, plenty of spectacle and very little substance. I enjoyed this kind of movie when I was 12. I can still enjoy it if I first saw it when I was 12. Perhaps one day the kids of today would consider this a cult classic. I consider it a waste of time. ( )
  Waldstein | Sep 1, 2019 |
I want to start with the information that I am a huge fan of the original stories. This was the first adaptation I saw. Guy Ritchie took a lot of liberties with the stories, which I usually hate, but I feel like Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr. were charming enough to make it work. (for the record I like the BBC Sherlock as well) I like that someone finally made Watson a young guy. Newly made doctor just back from the Afghanistan war, why would he be old? And I think that Robert Downey Jr. does a good job with Sherlock’s lack of emotion, while keeping him a funny and likeable character. I like that they took his boxing ability and made it into an interesting piece of the story, but they over-do it a little bit on the fight scenes and making it into an action movie. I didn’t like that Irene Adler is kind of a love interest—not a huge fan of romances, but I did like that a female character was given a stronger role than they ever get in the original stories. ( )
  renardkitsune | Jul 16, 2019 |
Sherlock Holmes finds badguys by looking at clues, and punches people.

I didn't have any fun. There's no mystery, and the subplot of Watson getting married made me want to throw things at the television. Downey is probably great - I don't know, the camera never stops long enough for me to see anything.

Concept: B

Silver, JoelProducersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Strong, MarkActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tadross, MichaelExecutive Producersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zimmer, HansComposersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the 2009 film starring Robert Downey, jr. and Jude Law. Please do not combine with other works having the same title.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,397,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible