The Whisper by Carla Neggers

The Whisper

by Carla Neggers

Series: FBI (4)

106None115,224 (3.56)1

I was not as interested as I'd thought I'd be in this book,but did finish it ,to see if it would pick up for me.Sorry to say it did not. ( )
  natalie29 | Mar 7, 2012 |
The December 2011 selection for the Barnes and Noble (Burlington, MA) Romance Readers. We did not realize when selecting The Whisper that it was the fourth in a series. A little continuity was lost in not knowing the backstory of some of the characters. That aside, the Boston/Ireland setting, the suspense, and the hero/heroine romantic interaction made for a good read. Sometimes, after reading a later installment in a series, I'll go back to catchup up; however, this time I will not. Knowing who of the secondary characters in The Whisper ends up with whom would be definite spoilers for the earlier books. ( )
  owlsfeathers | Dec 5, 2011 |
"The Whisperer" is the fourth book in this series, and is my least favorite. Neggers gets so caught up in attempting to connect this book with the previous books, that the plot line thins dramatically. The heroine, Sophie, falls instantly in love with Scoop Wisdom, another Boston policeman. They stumble through the book, repeatedly being told that they cannot be a part ofnthis investigation, but the problems fall at their feet. The book has a bit of a twist at the end, but is otherwise very predictable. ( )
  Glenajo | May 29, 2011 |
I say I found Sophie a bit interesting as a celtic archaeologist. She has some moments where she can be funny yet charming and blunt at the same time. Then there is Scoop who is a Boston internal affairs detective who was inured during a bomb. He went to Ireland to relax for a few weeks when he ran into Sophie. Was it a coincidence they met in Ireland? Maybe it was a coincidence they were on the same flight back to Boston. Scoop thinks she has something to hide and she is trying her best to keep her secrets to herself and find out what she can that is bothering her. Scoop is trying to figure out who planted the bomb that about killed him and his friends maybe Sophie's secrets are part of it. They begin working together so to speak and things start to happen not to mention falling for each other. They work out their secrets to reveal who the person was who caused all the problems from the bombing to the present. I have to say I was shocked to learn who it was. It took to the end of the book to figure it out. Those are the books I love. ( )
  BarbsReviews | Aug 3, 2010 |

It was meant to be an adventure—a night alone on a remote Irish island. Archaeologist Sophie Malone never expected to find Celtic treasure or to end up in a fight for her life in a dark, desolate cave. Now, a year later, she's convinced answers to the mysteries of that night lie in Boston. Is the recent violence there connected to her night of terror? Who has the priceless gold artifacts that disappeared from the cave…and who is responsible for the whispers she heard in the dark?

Nearly killed in an explosion a month ago, Boston detective Cyrus "Scoop" Wisdom has recovered from his injuries. He's after the bomber—and he thinks it's another cop. But when Sophie unknowingly leads him to a retired officer’s body amid symbols of ritual sacrifice, it's clear nobody's safe, and everyone's a suspect.

Tough and stubborn, Scoop is the best on the force at detecting lies…except maybe those of Sophie Malone. Together Sophie and Scoop face the greatest challenge of their lives: someone is using ancient rituals to commit modern-day murder—and the killing has only just begun.

After surviving a brutal attack in Ireland, archaeologist Sophie Malone discovers that the fabled Celtic treasure she has been searching for is now in the hands of a serial killer who is using ancient rituals to satisfy a lust for violence--a discovery that causes her to become the prime suspect in a murder investigation.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,499,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible