De sammansvurna by David Baldacci

De sammansvurna (2005)

by David Baldacci

The Camel Club is a four-man group of Washington, D.C. misfits, that meet weekly to discuss political conspiracies they believe exist and what actions they might take. One night club members witness the murder of Secret Service employee Patrick Johnson, thus thrusting the wacky crew into the middle of a bigger conspiracy than they could ever have imagined.… (more)
Member:haakphoto
Title:De sammansvurna
Authors:David Baldacci
Info:
Collections:E-bok, biblioteket

The Camel Club by David Baldacci (2005)

Recently added byJebrules360, Glacierhills1200, rena75, private library, froschling, revrtt, mcallister
    The President's Shadow by Brad Meltzer (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Both series have archivists that are characters that play important roles in the series.
    The Rescue by Steven Konkoly (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Both works use a network of informants/operatives to accomplish their goals.
    The Lion by Nelson DeMille (Scottneumann)

English (109)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (115)
Not one of Baldacci’s best. ( )
  lynngood2 | Feb 7, 2020 |
Washington DC. 4 eccentric members make up The Camel Club. Oliver Stone is the leader. They study conspiracy theories, current events and the workings of government to find the truth behind their actions. They witness a shocking murder. They join forces with secret service agent to confront a chilling spectacle on American soil which may trigger war between 2 worlds. A slow start but the 2nd half made up for it. Interesting characters and unique plot. Love Baldacci's Maxwell and King, Will Robie and Amos Decker series. Recommended if you love history and political intrigue. ( )
  EadieB | Jul 23, 2019 |
I read some of this series 10 or so years ago and really didn’t care much for it. It has always been my least favorite of everything David Baldacci…one of my favorite authors of all time… ever wrote. The essence of the series is politics and more politics. The characters though, are another matter. Oliver Stone and Agent Ford are what would keep most people reading and coming back for more. Ten years later…I’m back for more…and it was all because it was a group read for the Mystery & Suspense group on LibraryThing…people that make everything worth reading. I still didn’t care for all the politics but the action was superb…especially the last few chapters. If any American, or any other world citizen can read or listen to these last 6 or 7 chapters and not find themselves holding their breath and their heart rate accelerated…then they are already ready for that granite stone. Well done…reading group. I think I’ll join you for the next one. ( )
  Carol420 | Jul 20, 2019 |
Camel Club is a good read for a holiday but followed a predictable theme of conspiracies within conspiracies. Some interesting final revelations but nothing that really grabbed me. ( )
  froschling | Apr 19, 2019 |
This is the 3rd Baldacci offering I've tried, and I'm just not a fan of his fiction. I experienced The Camel Club as an audio book (and of course listening to a work over the course of many days alters the experience -- not usually for the better). I found the plot entirely unbelievable, and the number of characters made it hard to follow. I stopped caring about 2/3 of the way through, and just finished it to give it a sufficient chance.

The Camel Club consists of a small group of misfits -- all senior citizens -- led by an older man who calls himself "Oliver Stone" (after the film-maker). They are conspiracy theorists who try to figure out the truth behind US government actions. They stumble onto a real conspiracy when they happen to witness the murder of a government Secret Service agent in a Washington DC park, a murder designed to look like a suicide. When Alex Ford (another SS agent) seeks to investigate, he is demoted, signaling that a government cover-up is involved. Ford and Stone work together to figure out what's going on. They uncover a plot by Islamic terrorists to kidnap the US president but they are a strange sort of terrorist since they plan to do so without harming anyone and with plans to release him unharmed. And then there's an elaborate counterplot from within the US government to sell the president to the North Koreans (why North Koreans? I never did figure that out, and I can find no sign that any of the reviewers at GoodReads or Amazon were able to either). Meanwhile the VP (as acting president) plans to use nuclear weapons to obliterate Damascus as payback to the evil Arabs for the kidnapping -- as if slaughtering 6 million Syrian civilians to punish a handful of Arabs makes any sense at all -- politically or morally. At the very last minute, through heroic action by a character named Hemingway (who has the superhuman capacity to dodge machine gun bullets and kill Koreans with his bare hands), catastrophe is averted. As one (GoodReads) reviewer notes: "It all ends well, of course, everyone is saved and safe at the very last split second before impending world catastrophe, no Americans die, the bad guys are defeated, the world is saved, heroes abound, some of them find love, the US President looks forward to a new term with phenomenal approval ratings after the kidnapping, and so on."

The plot is just ridiculous, the dialogue is stilted, the characters are unlikeable, the action is not credible, and the writing is clumsy. There're lots of politically correct assurances that Islam is a religion of peace, to make up for the peaceable Arab terrorists who kidnap the president. As for the writing, Baldacci gropes in his memory for clichés to make up for his lack of inventiveness, and sometimes goes wrong. Someone should tell him that the phrase "dogs don't change their spots" is a malapropism; the actual phrase invokes leopards, animals that actually have spots. Baldacci also misused this same phrase in "The Hour Game". Clearly you can't teach old leopards new tricks. :-) ( )
1 vote danielx | Mar 27, 2019 |

David Baldacciprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marjamäki, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
This novel is dedicated to the men and women of the United States Secret Service.
And to Larry Kirshbaum, a first-rate editor, a great publisher, and a wonderful friend.
The Chevy Suburban sped down the road, enveloped by the hushed darkness of the Virginia country-side.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,313,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible