The Darkling Thrush

by Josh Lanyon

Fed up with his desk duty in the Imperial Arcane Library, book hunter Colin Bliss accepts a private commission to find The Sword's Shadow, a legendary and dangerous witches' grimoire. But to find the book, Colin must travel to the remote Western Isles and solve a centuries' old murder. It should be nothing more than an academic exercise, so why is dour - and unreasonably sexy - Magister Septimus Marx doing his best to keep Colin from accepting this mission - even going so far as to seduce Colin on their train journey north? Septimus is not the only problem. Who is the strange fairy woman that keeps appearing at inconvenient times? And who is working behind the scenes with the sinister adventuress Irania Briggs? And why do Colin's employers at the Museum of the Literary Occult keep accusing Colin of betraying them? As Colin digs deeper and deeper into the Long Island's mysterious past, he begins to understand why Septimus is willing to stop him at any price - but by then, it's too late to turn back.… (more)
    Gaywyck by Vincent Virga (nessreader)
    nessreader: Both are about wistful blond librarians stumbling through gothic ruins toward alphamale love interest.

This is one of those books that has been languishing on my shelves for quite some time, in fact since I first started reading m/m! I honestly couldn't tell you why I haven't read it before, but I'm glad I finally got the push to do so.

The Darkling Thrush is an interesting story. It has an "old-world" feel to it, almost an historical if I'm honest. Yet we're not really given a time-setting so I won't classify it as historical.

In the beginning I was unsure about how it was a romance, and I'm still not completely convinced it's truly one as such. I would classify it more as a paranormal mystery with romantic elements. We don't really see a relationship developing. In the beginning the MCs don't seem to like each other yet when they come together later it all changes rather suddenly. Having said that, I truly enjoyed all aspects of the story and was rather sad when it ended rather abruptly (in my opinion at least, lol). ( )
  ShazOV | Feb 10, 2021 |
3 stars. Not my favorite Lanyon book by a long shot. Started to enjoy it after the halfway point, but I really just didn't get the romance. Septimus went from being condescending to being in love? I just didn't see it. (maybe if they spent more time together in the novel? I don't know)

The writing was still amazing, but it just didn't suck me in like most JL novels. ( )
  vampkiss | Oct 23, 2013 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,684,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible