Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard…

Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the…

by Sam Kashner, Nancy Schoenberger

"The definitive, larger-than-life account of the greatest Hollywood love story ever -- the romance of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton"--

I lost interest and skimmed my way through the book. Liz and Dick have a unique love story. Most people think of Prince Charles and Di as "THE couple" because of the fairy-tale wedding, but I think we can agree that Liz and Dick, at least for a while, loved each other. They tried to make it work twice and they failed.

I've tried to analyze what I could. Is it possible that their success killed their marriages? I'm not wild about their addictions to alcohol and medications. They loved being together and hated being apart. So it's pretty sad that they just couldn't make it work.

If the impression I received from the book is correct, the paparazzi was out of control back then as it is today. Even famous couples need privacy--a place to escape. They need normalcy as much as you and I do.

But my favorite part was probably reading the fact that Dick wrote Liz one last letter right before he died. She kept those letters ever since. Loving each other even unto the point of death is pretty unique. ( )
  caslater83 | Jun 2, 2019 |
It's a long litany of stories about how the two drank, had sex, blamed everyone but themselves, indulged in every vice they could, continued to make movies, and then whined about all the publicity. I'm all for a good juicy gossip book, but it isn't well written gossip. Seems to repeat itself a lot. Needs another round of editing and proofreading. No wonder it's so long, with all the repetition and overly long descriptions of drinking! I gave up after a while, couldn't stand yet another story about self-destruction being blamed on everyone but themselves. ( )
  camelama | Dec 30, 2016 |
I loved Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the Century by Sam Kashner. It is not a serious book but it is fun and interesting. I am not cinemate but I like to read about the successful actors and directors in hopes of learning something of how movies are made and what makes success. Elizabeth Taylor in my opinion comes off as more admirable than Richard Burton. Both great actors, she seems more stable than he though both were alcoholics. Richard was ashamed of being an actor. It was a little sissy like for him. He was scholarly and preferred to read, write and teach. He carried his library with him throughout their peregrinations. The traveled with a vast entourage that I think must have put financial pressure on them. She would have as many as 70 security men. If you are into movies or just curious about these two characters I recommend it. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Jan 29, 2015 |
Very well done. It was engaging, fascinating, & a really intimate look at a very public couple. It left me feeling more sorry for them both more than anything. A love of a lifetime, for both of them. Plus, the addition of 2 of Richard's unpublished poems in the back of the book that were found in his papers after his death. He was actually a good writer, I wish his books, etc that he started throughout his life would have been finished & published posthumously. There are 2 sections of black & white photos in the book as well, which I really enjoyed seeing. Makes me wonder if her final wish, to be buried beside him when she died, was fulfilled.... ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |
This turned out to be much better than I thought. Instead of the usual gossipy trash one normally sees in celebrity biographies, the authors stay even-keeled and provide the reader with a chronological overview of the Richard Burton/Elizabeth Taylor romance and marriage. They don't really dive in too deeply, but they were given access to the letters that Burton sent to Taylor throughout their life together.

I was surprised by learning just how deeply in love the two of them were with each other, which is something one really wouldn't know given the media's past coverage. I always thought it was just one of those publicity-seeking unions, but they were truly soulmates.

Both Burton's and Taylor's alcohol and drug dependencies are covered, with more depth given to Burton's insecurities. So, not a bad volume to read on the beach during the summer.

Book Season = Summer ( )
  Gold_Gato | Sep 16, 2013 |

Sam Kashnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schoenberger, Nancymain authorall editionsconfirmed
When asked by Time magazine a few years ago to name the five great love affairs of all time, the Texas-born gossip columnist Liz Smith didn't even have to think about who would occupy first place. The Burtons, of course. Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor "were the most vivid example of a public love affair that I can think of. The Burtons and the Lindbergh baby being kidnapped and Kennedy's assassination - these are the biggest stories of our time. Whenever somebody says, `So and so is a big star,' I say, `Have they been condemned by the Vatican?'"
PREFACE
"I am forever punished by the gods for being given the fire and trying to put it out. The fire, of course, is you."
-RICHARD BURTON
"Since I was a little girl, I believed I was a child of destiny, and if that is true, Richard Burton was surely my fate."
-ELIZABETH TAYLOR

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,776,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible