Safe Haven (2010)

by Nicholas Sparks

"When a mysterious young woman named Katie appears in the small North Carolina town of Southport, her sudden arrival raises questions about her past. Beautiful yet self-effacing, Katie seems determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships: one with Alex, a widowed store owner with a kind heart and two young children; and another with her plainspoken single neighbor, Jo. Despite her reservations, Katie slowly begins to let down her guard, putting down roots in the close-knit community and becoming increasingly attached to Alex and his family. But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her-- a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards-- and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven"--from author's web site.… (more)
Recently added byRennie80, gluegun, Victoria.5357, private library, JessicaF217, ErynSturch, Dal05713, Rainwater17

English (113)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (115)
A pleasant surprise - much better than I'd expected. ( )
  RedSonja76 | Jun 26, 2021 |
Old reviews went missing. How does save not working?

Great romance and suspense book. ( )
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |

But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her . . . a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathetic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards . . . and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven. ( )
  Gmomaj | Nov 30, 2020 |
'Katie slipped on her only pair of shoes, a pair of beat-up converse sneakers. The chest of drawers stood largely empty and there was almost no food in the kitchen, but as she stepped out of the house and into the sunshine and headed toward the store, she thought to herself, This is home.

Plot

When Katie arrives in the small town of Southport, North Carolina, questions about her mysterious past are raised. Katie is determined that she won't make any personal ties, so that she can be ready to flee at any time.

However, a series of events draw her into two reluctant relationships, and as she starts to relax and lower her guard, she begins to put down roots in the close-knit community. But even as Katie falls in love, she's haunted by the dark secret of her past.

My Thoughts

I watched the film adaptation of this book a few months ago on Netflix, and as soon as I realised it was a book too, I just had to buy it. I loved the film, and I knew that the book would be even better. So, I've had the book sitting on the bookshelf for quite a while now, while I've been reading other books. I just finished Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan, and although there are a huge amount of differences between the two stories, there are also a few similarities, such as the the beautiful setting. I found myself pining for a story with a similar setting after Archer's Voice, so I thought it was time to read Safe Haven.

Of course, there are always a lot of differences between books and their film adaptations, but I was quite shocked by one very big change. I won't go into any detail about it so I don't spoil the story for anyone, I'll just say that the way in which Katie's past is revealed is very different compared to the film. Despite this, I still loved the book and stayed up late on several occasions unable to put it down. It's quite a long book, at just under 400 pages, but I still managed to read it within a few days; a sign of a good book.

This is my first Nicholas Sparks novel, and it definitely didn't let me down. I've watched three film adaptations of his novels, including this one, and after seeing how much the book differed from the film I'm curious to see how the others differ too.

The storytelling was wonderful, with the dual POV helping me get an insight into both Katie's and Alex's pasts. Both have suffered tragedies, although very different, and both of them deserve to find happiness again. I thought that Katie was a strong character, although she probably wouldn't agree. She's been through a lot of turmoil, but she found the courage to run away, despite being terrified of doing so.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone that loves to read Romance, although for me it was so much more than that. It was fast paced, thrilling, and it caused many late nights for me. ( )
  Rebecca_Ross | Nov 2, 2020 |
Review: Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks.

It’s been a long time sense I have read one of Spark’s books and I have chosen two of them this month. This was a relaxing read, well written, and enjoyable. The novel is an easy read and only one major plot issues. It’s obvious that Nicholas Sparks is a quality writer who develops creative characters and meaningful relationships.

One day Katie Feldman arrives in a small town in North Carolina, with no background and just a mysterious person within the town. Her life there revolves working as a waitress at a local restaurant, keeping her past life untold and settles down fixing up her cottage and going to buy necessities that she will need where she meets Alex, who is a single parent with two young children and the owner of the store.

Katie gradually builds a comfortable relationship with Alex and his children but she isn’t ready for any emotional long term commitment. It was predictable how there relationship will turn into however; no one knows the real Katie, what she is hiding from, or someone who is a Policeman who is out to find her… ( )
  Juan-banjo | Dec 24, 2019 |
In loving memory of Paul and Adrienne Cote. My wonderful family. I miss you both already.
As Katie wound her way among the tables, a breeze from the Atlantic rippled through her hair.
Please do not combine the movie with the book.

Hachette Book Group

4 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 044654759X, 0446573671, 1607886170, 1607886197

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,391,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible