At the Loch of the Green Corrie (2010)

by Andrew Greig

A homage to a remarkable poet and his world. 'At The Loch of Green Corrie is more than merely elegant, more than a collection of albeit fascinating insights, laugh-out-loud observations and impressively broad erudition' - Sunday Herald 'You could easily make a case that Andrew Greig has the greatest range of any living Scottish writer' - Scotsman For many years Andrew Greig saw the poet Norman MacCaig as a father figure. Months before his death, MacCaig's enigmatic final request to Greig was that he fish for him at the Loch of the Green Corrie; the location, even the real name of his destination was more mysterious still. His search took in days of outdoor living, meetings, and fishing with friends in the remote hill lochs of far North-West Scotland. It led, finally, to the waters of the Green Corrie, which would come to reflect Greig's own life, his thoughts on poetry, geology and land ownership in the Highlands and the ambiguous roles of whisky, love and male friendship. At the Loch of the Green Corrie is a richly atmospheric narrative, a celebration of losing and recovering oneself in a unique landscape, the consideration of a particular culture, and a homage to a remarkable poet and his world.… (more)

I've only read 2 of Andrew Greig's books, When They Lay Bare and That Summer, but he is one of my favourite authors. Early on in this book I didn't warm to the man himself, but it is beautifully written and he won me over by the end. I suspect a man full of charm, but an author full of good judgement. The change from the single thread of the trip to the Loch of the Green Corrie to the last quarter of the book which flits in and out of a second trip works really well. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jan 23, 2021 |
Loved this memoir of McCaig. I want to go to the green Corrie in Scotland. ( )
  PhilipKinsella | Aug 20, 2017 |
A luminous, poetic reflective book which is impossible to categorise. Partly a tribute to Grieg's friend and mentor, the late poet Norman MacCaig and the people and landscape of Assynt in the North West Highlands that MacCaig loved, it is also a memoir and reflection on life, love, friendship, poetry, whisky and fishing. Highly recommended. ( )
  bodachliath | Jan 4, 2016 |
This book was so nearly very good, but sadly it subsided into morbid self-obsession.

Andrew Greig has published a few novels (including "The Return of John Macnab", which would certainly rank among my fifty favourite novels) along with several volumes of verse, and it was his work as a poet that brought him to the attention of elderly Scottish poet Norman MacCaig. At a meeting not long before MacCaig's death Greig promised to fish at the Loch of the Green Corrie, a site in Assynt (the far North West of Scotland). This book details the expedition that Greig and two of his friends undertook to make good that promise.

Greig's prose is generally lucid and incisive (presumably as a consequence of his talent as a poet), and when he is describing the landscape of Assynt the book is enchanting, as it also is when he talks about (and extensively quotes from) MacCaig's poems. However, too much of the book dwells on torrid episodes from Greig's own past, and to my mind these mar the flow of the book.

I am glad that I read this, but I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone who does not have my own love of the Highlands, Read his "The Return of John Macnab" or even John Buchan's original "John Macnab" instead. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Oct 6, 2013 |
I always enjoy Andrew Greig's writing, so it was no surprise that the prose in 'At the Loch of the Green Corrie' is superb. It's one of those books you should savour, and being no good at that kind of thing, I devoured it in a day. Definitely one for the re-read list.

So many things stick in my memory about this book. The way that Greig captures the atmosphere of the Scottish wilderness, the people he meets and his musings on what it means to be Scottish. Definitely recommended for anyone who enjoys reading about Scotland. ( )
  cazfrancis | Jan 14, 2013 |
To Norman and his pals | For Lesley and mine
'Man is in love and loves what vanishes'.

Were it merely a matter of digging. I would not choose to exhume the dead, nor live again the time we went to fish for the old poet and his friends.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,209,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible