If Walls Could Talk by Juliet Blackwell

If Walls Could Talk

by Juliet Blackwell

Series: A Haunted Home Renovation Mystery (1)

Don Of The Dead by Casey Daniels (marschaaahhh)
    marschaaahhh: If you like the theme of a reluctant woman helping a ghost with unfinished business.

English (16)  Piratical (1)  All languages (17)
Synopsis: Book one of A Haunted Home Renovation Mystery series introduces us to Melanie "Mel" Turner, a cultural anthropologist turned contractor who can also see ghosts. Mel took over her dad's construction company after the death of her mother, and two years later is still in charge, remodeling historic houses in the San Francisco Bay Area.

In addition to Mel, we meet her dad Bill, former marine and the name behind Turner Construction; Bill's friend Stan, who was injured in an accident and now lives with Bill; Caleb, Mel's ex-stepson; Matt, Mel's rock star friend who now wants to flip houses; Dylan, Matt's son; and Graham, former employee of Turner Construction who now works for Cal-OSHA. There are several other characters, but either they were minor or they clearly won't be in the next book.

The plot involves a Victorian house that Matt and his business partner Kenneth had bought to flip. Mel, as a friend of Matt's, gets involved in the renovation and ends up trying to find out what happened to Kenneth and the mystery surrounding the house.

Who should read: fans of paranormal and mystery. If you like ghosties and mysteries, then this series is for you. Also good for YA, as there are no sex scenes and no real swear words.

My Review: Unlike Ms. Blackwell's Witchcraft Mystery series, this book starts out a bit rough, as if she's not quite sure about her characters, and the plot stumbles around a bit. In fact, there are a bit too many characters at the beginning, which I think is what muddled it all. So, the first half of the book, I was very skeptical if I actually wanted to keep reading. But it's a light read and I wanted to know "who dun it," so I keep at it. And glad I did! By the end of the book, everything started to come together. By the end, the characters definitely had more cohesion, and the plot seemed to work. Although, I still prefer the Witchcraft Mystery series a bit better - see my review here - mainly because I liked the characters better. Even at the end of this book, the characters were still a bit flat to me, although Mel's character was starting to fill out a bit more.

Overall, I'd give this book a 2.5 . It's not quite 3 stars, but the potential is there. So, I will definitely pick up the next book in the series.

wanderinglynn | Mar 22, 2018 |
Not at all believable in any facet, particularly the home renovation angle. Go write about something you know about. ( )
  2wonderY | Dec 28, 2017 |
If Walls Could Talk is a terrific quick read! I was waiting for my much-loved library to receive my intralibrary loaner so decided to give Juliet Blackwell's book a try! I'm very glad I did! . . it held my interest, the plot was a good one and it moved quickly, Ms. Blackwell did her research from what I could see (er, read) . . into the world of vintage home restoration. I love books with strong, intelligent female lead characters - score! The book never lagged, the story was (almost) believable given a slight paranormal twist (I so love those!) and the characters were engaging and (in a few cases) endearing!! Recommended. ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Actually 3.5 Stars

This is the first book in Juliet Blackwell's Haunted Home Renovation Mystery series.

In this book we meet Mel(anie) Turner of owner of Turner Construction. Mel has taken over the company from her family; when her sisters became of age they fled the business and when her mother passed her father lost interest & turned the business over to her. Mel's mother always had a keen "sense" of which houses would be best to renovate & "flip" and it seem that Mel has inherited her gift.

Mel has just come into the business and is asked to look at a historic house that was built as a twin and is now being renovated in order to be "flipped"....

When Mel arrives she finds that there had been a "demolition" party the previous night and one of the principles, Matt, is passed out on the sofa. Upon going upstairs with Matt to inspect the damage done at the party the idea man behind the flip, Kenneth (whom Mel detests), staggers in with a nail gun in his hand & begins to shoot at them. Kenneth then falls and Mel & Matt discover that Kenneth's hand has not only been severed off but he has been shot full of nails.... Mel holds Kenneth, comforting him until the EMTs come and take him to the hospital.

Driving home Kenneth appears to Mel and continues to appear....slightly bewildered but clearly in need of help. There are other ghosts in the house but they refuse to interact with Kenneth....

As Mel & Matt begin to work on the renovation things begin to happen: break-ins, assaults, fire, and more ghostly phenomena. As the history of the house is slowly revealed all the pieces of the puzzle begin to fit together.....

This is quick, easy & entertaining read. I have read another series by Blackwell, witchcraft mysteries, which (as witchcraft mysteries go), I prefer to many of the other similar series that have been published. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
This was another cozy series that was recommended to me by a cyber friend. I've been reading a lot of cozies lately because they just feel good, and it was nice to read something light. I've had good luck and bad luck with these attempts. This attempt wasn't terrible, but not that good either. This book is about Mel Thompson and her construction crew located in San Francisco. There are some pretty good characters in this book, including Mel herself. I like that part about the book. I also liked the home renovation and antique hunting part. I was expecting ghosts, so that was not a surprise, but the ghosts in this book are not ghost-like at all. They were more like wooden characters. The mystery was not much of a mystery either, and the plotting didn't leave me on the edge of my seat. So I don't think I'll be continuing with this series. ( )
  Romonko | Dec 18, 2015 |

Juliet Blackwellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sands, XeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Carolyn J. Lawes
For your unconditional support, wicked wit, and Superwoman smarts. Thanks for being my sister.
This was one pitiful-looking mansion.

The first title in the new Haunted Home Renovation Mystery series about Melanie Turner, a woman who owns a construction company in the San Francisco Bay Area specializing in historic home repair--and ridding the properties of unwanted ghosts. At her newest renovation project, a run-down Pacific Heights mansion, Mel is visited by the ghost of a colleague who recently met a bad end with power tools. Mel hopes that by tracking down the killer, she can rid herself of the ghostly presence of the murdered man.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,802,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible