The Man Who Disappeared by Clare Morrall

The Man Who Disappeared (2010)

by Clare Morrall

What would you do if, out of the blue, your reliable husband disappears? Then you are told he has been involved in money-laundering. Surely the man you know intimately couldn't be a criminal - could he?
    A Thousand Pardons by Jonathan Dee (jayne_charles)
    jayne_charles: Both novels are based on women finding inner reserves of strength after being spectacularly let down by their husbands

Felix Kendall longs for a family, as a boy he lost his own. From the first page where Felix stands in a dark street watching a family illuminated in their dining room, curtains open, you know Felix must be the 'man who disappeared' but you don't know why. The characters are believable and the pages turn quickly as we follow the stories of Felix, his wife Kate, son Rory and daughter Millie as they come to terms with what has happened. I expected this to be a slow indulgent read, lyrical, beautifully written, which it is, but I raced through it in the way I am accustomed to do with thrillers. Clare Morrall is one of my favourite authors, I've been a fan since her first book ‘Astonishing Splashes of Colour’ was shortlisted for the Booker.
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
  Sandradan1 | Oct 30, 2015 |
This book is not Booker-shortlist material (unlike her first work, "Astonishing Splashes of Colour"), but I really enjoyed reading it. It's a fun book, with enough serious undertones to hold my interest. Sadly, I think Morrall was let down by her publisher who should have told her to axe the last 40 pages or so and terminate it with a decent ending. I found the main characters to be entirely believable even though some of the plot aspects stretched the realms of coincidence nearly to breaking point. ( )
  oldblack | Jun 17, 2014 |
"When Reliable, respectable Felix Kendall vanishes, his wife Kate is left reeling. As she and their children cope with the shocking impact on their comfortable lives, Kate realises that, if Felix is guilty, she never truly knew the man she loved. But as she faces the possability that he might never return, she also discovers strengths she never knew she had."

an oddly compelling book. I loved the portions where felix is trying without breaking the law to live under the radar. that he was so attached to the idea of family. The story is realy about how a good man can be led astray by things dome in his youth, and the isecurity of a proper family. ( )
  jessicariddoch | May 10, 2013 |
I found the book intriguing. I kept turning the pages wanting to find out more and more, yet I felt so sad and sick for everyone concerned. The book is well written, with unusual themes and it keeps you guessing right up till the end. I thoroughly recommend it so do read it if you get a chance to :) !!!! ( )
  Carole888 | Jun 28, 2012 |
I really enjoyed this character story of Kate and Felix Kendall.

They have been happily married with three children, and one day Felix just doesn't show up home....what's going on? He is accused of money laundering and has no contact with his family, who think him dead.

I like the strength that Kate (before a bored housewife) found within her self and how her family survived their fall from upper class to council estate life.

Always enjoy Clare's novels. Really good writer. ( )
  coolmama | Aug 22, 2011 |
To the Blue Coat children who think I should dedicate a book to them and all the others who are too polite to ask
Felix Kendall stands in the darkness, outside the friendly circle of light from the streetlamp.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,643,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible