Simple times : [crafts for poor people] by…

Simple times : [crafts for poor people] (edition 2010)

by Amy Sedaris, Paul Dinello

3801942,827 (3.64)8
Member:hthbooks
Title:Simple times : [crafts for poor people]
Authors:Amy Sedaris
Other authors:Paul Dinello
Info:New York : Grand Central, 2010.

Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People by Amy Sedaris

This book was cute. I love Amy's parody on the world of crafting. Really is a cute book. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
It's hard to rate this book. Is it in bad taste? Oh gosh yes. Is it funny anyway? Yes. Is it appropriate for families with small children? Nope. I'm going to have to remove some pages if I decide to keep it because I really don't feel like explaining some of the kinkier staged photos to a toddler--especially not the one with implied bestiality. Is this a book that will teach you how to make a lot of cool crafts? Not really. What it is is a book that will give you ideas and help you to think WAY outside the box. And laugh of course. If you didn't like "I Like You--Hospitality Under the Influence" skip this by all means. If you liked it, give this a shot, just don't expect it to be as surprisingly useful. ( )
  aurelas | Dec 23, 2016 |
I did not read the blurb on the back of this audiobook so I thought I was getting a book about various crafts that Amy Sedaris enjoys doing. Instead, I got a sarcastic look at crafts and crafters. Fine by me. I thought most of the book was pretty funny. Some of it probably crossed the line of decency, but I'm pretty hard to offend, so I laughed at it. The only thing I didn't get was the chapter on sex. It didn't seem to fit the rest of the book; like it was thrown in for shock value. I could have done without that one. Everything else got quite a few giggles out of me and was a pleasant surprise. ( )
  jguidry | Nov 1, 2016 |
Sorry Amy, it just didn't hold my attention.
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
I hope that I have enjoyed this book less than anyone else who has ever read it.

I thought the idea of this book was funny, but the contents didn't work for me. I expected to be amused by silly descriptions and wry observations, but instead I was bored by the tediousness of even theoretical crazy-person crafting. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044655703X, Hardcover)

America's most delightfully unconventional hostess and the bestselling author of I Like You delivers a new book that will forever change the world of crafting. According to Amy Sedaris, it's often been said that ugly people craft and attractive people have sex. In her new book, SIMPLE TIMES, she sets the record straight. Demonstrating that crafting is one of life's more pleasurable and constructive leisure activities, Sedaris shows that anyone with a couple of hours to kill and access to pipe cleaners can join the elite society of crafters.

You will discover how to make popular crafts, such as: crab-claw roach clips, tinfoil balls, and crepe-paper moccasins, and learn how to: get inspired (Spend time at a Renaissance Fair; Buy fruit, let it get old, and see

what shapes it turns into); remember which kind of glue to use with which material (Tacky with Furry, Gummy with Gritty, Paste with Prickly, and always Gloppy with Sandy); create your own craft room and avoid the most common crafting accidents (sawdust fires, feather asphyxia, pine cone lodged in throat); and cook your own edible crafts, from a Crafty Candle Salad to Sugar Skulls, and many more recipes.

PLUS whole chapters full of more crafting ideas (Pompom Ringworms! Seashell Toilet Seat Covers!) that will inspire you to create your own hastily constructed obscure d'arts; and much, much more!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:21 -0400)

Sedaris shows how to make popular crafts, such as crab-claw roach clips, tinfoil balls, and crepe-paper moccasins; how to remember which kind of glue to use with which material; how to create your own craft room and avoid the most common crafting accidents; and, how to cook your own edible crafts, from a Crafty Candle Salad to Sugar Skulls, and many more recipes.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,569,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible