Tonight No Poetry Will Serve: Poems…

Tonight No Poetry Will Serve: Poems 2007-2010

by Adrienne Rich

It's a tragedy that I've only found out about this wonderful writer a mere month after she passed. Damn it all.

This slim volume has some jarring phrases and turns of image which are stuck with me. They connect on an intellectual/analytical level as well as a deeply emotional one. History and myth and emotion and feeling.

Need more. 89 pages is not enough, though they seem like much more, with what remains. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
I connected to Rich's collection of poetry on an intellectual level, rather than an emotional one. I didn't so much melt into her words (as I do with some poetry), and read, re-read, and thought about it, trying to make the connections between one phrase, line, or stanza, to the next.

Her lines a purposefully ragged, using blank space between lines and words more often than punctuation, and the tend to tumble into one another. Intellectual or otherwise, the writing is beautiful, and there are several passages and turns of phrase that linger in my thoughts long after I've read them. ( )
  andreablythe | Sep 4, 2011 |

Relationships—partings/reconciliations, solidarities/ruptures, trust/betrayal, exposure/withdrawal—are the deep fabric of this forceful work.

In the intimate address of "Axel Avákar," the black humor of "Quarto," and the underground journey of "Powers of Recuperation," compressed lyrics flash among larger scenarios where images, dialogues, blues, and song spiral into political visions. Adrienne Rich has said, "I believe almost everything I know, have come to understand, is somewhere in this book."

from "Ballade of the Poverties"
     There's the poverty of wages wired for the funeral you
     Can't get to the poverty of bodies lying unburied
     There's the poverty of labor offered silently on the curb
     The poverty of yard sale scrapings spread
     And rejected the poverty of eviction, wedding bed out on street
     Prince let me tell you who will never learn through words
     There are poverties and there are poverties.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:50 -0400)

Collects new poems by the author, that celebrate social presence under enforced isolation, aggressive authority, and ancient and present wars.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,799,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible