Raised on Radio

by Gerald Nachman

In the late 1920s radio exploded almost overnight into being America's dominant entertainment, just as television would do twenty-five years later. Gerald Nachman, himself a product of the radio years, takes us back to the heyday of radio, bringing to life the great performers and shows, as well as the not-so-great and not-great-at-all. Nachman analyzes the many genres that radio exploited or invented, from the soap opera to the sitcom to the quiz show, zooming in to study closely key performers like Jack Benny, Bob Hope, and Fred Allen. Raised on Radio is a generous, instructive, and sinfully readable salute to an extraordinary American phenomenon.… (more)

Good overview of many personalities and shows from radio's heyday. I think I might have liked it better if the author had focused on one or the other (people or shows). But the book did provide me with some pointers to some shows I'd like to listen to. ( )
  tgraettinger | Jan 14, 2022 |
Fascinating history of radio from its very beginning to the "demise" of radio shows. A must for old time radio buffs. It gave me a whole new perspective and appreciation of my favorite shows. ( )
  odurant | Sep 18, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,870,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible