Tragic sense of life by Miguel de Unamuno

Tragic sense of life (1913)

by Miguel de Unamuno

693720,701 (4)8
    Slavery and Freedom by Nikolai Berdyaev (galacticus)
    galacticus: Religious existentialism.
    Scepticism and Animal Faith by George Santayana (galacticus)
    galacticus: Same project, different result, both eloquent and compelling
    Aunt Tula by Miguel de Unamuno (caflores)

English (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (7)
I read most of this just because I like saying ' unamuno ! ' ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
I read most of this just because I like saying ' unamuno ! ' ( )
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
This volume is the acknowledged masterpiece of [the author], who shares with Ortega y Gasset the distinction of being Spain's most influential philosopher. Here, the reader will find the inner contradictions of a modern human being set down with great respect for truth...

[The author] is in the tradition of the great Spanish saints and mystics who devoted their lives to exploring the kingdoms of faith. [This book] is a "direct expression of the strife between the truth thought and the truth felt".

"Masterfully written with the author's strong personality emerging from every page," – New Haven Journal-Courier

"A great Spanish classic," – World Alliance Newsletter

Crawford Fitch, J. E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
J. E. Crawford FlitchTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriņa, ZentaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raudive, KonstantīnsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Homo sum; nihil humani a me alienum puto, said the Latin playwright. For my part I would rather say: Nullum hominem a me alienum puto: I am a man; no other man do I deem a stranger.
The greater part of my work has been to disquiet my neighbor, to stir up the sediment of the hearts, to sow anguish in them, if possible.
The God of the heart, the living God is reached by way of faith and not by way of rational or mathematical conviction, and faith leads us back to Him, when we have left Him to stray after the lifeless God of logic.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0486202577, Paperback)

The acknowledged masterpiece of one of Spain's most influential thinkers. Between despair and the desire for something better, Unamuno finds that "saving incertitude" that alone can console us. Dynamic appraisal of man's faith in God and in himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:01 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,599,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible