Tragic Sense of Life: Philosophical Thoughts…

Tragic Sense of Life: Philosophical Thoughts on Life, Death, Adversity,… (original 1913; edition 2018)

by Miguel de Unamuno (Author)

The acknowledged masterpiece of Unamuno expresses the anguish of modern man as he is caught up in the struggle between the dictates of reason and the demands of his own heart.
Member:Crooper
Title:Tragic Sense of Life: Philosophical Thoughts on Life, Death, Adversity, Consciousness, Religion and the Personal Achievement of Authenticity
Authors:Miguel de Unamuno (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2018), 210 pages

Work Information

Tragic Sense of Life by Miguel de Unamuno (1913)

Slavery and Freedom by Nikolai Berdyaev (galacticus)
    galacticus: Religious existentialism.
    Scepticism and Animal Faith by George Santayana (galacticus)
    galacticus: Same project, different result, both eloquent and compelling
    Aunt Tula by Miguel de Unamuno (caflores)

English (6)  Spanish (4)  Catalan (3)  All languages (13)
I read this a while back because of Hemingway, but I can't remember exactly what I read or if I finished it...i'll write more after I read it again--sorry guys.
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
12/11/21
  laplantelibrary | Dec 11, 2021 |
I read most of this just because I like saying ' unamuno ! ' ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
I read most of this just because I like saying ' unamuno ! ' ( )
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
This volume is the acknowledged masterpiece of [the author], who shares with Ortega y Gasset the distinction of being Spain's most influential philosopher. Here, the reader will find the inner contradictions of a modern human being set down with great respect for truth...

[The author] is in the tradition of the great Spanish saints and mystics who devoted their lives to exploring the kingdoms of faith. [This book] is a "direct expression of the strife between the truth thought and the truth felt".

"Masterfully written with the author's strong personality emerging from every page," – New Haven Journal-Courier

"A great Spanish classic," – World Alliance Newsletter
  yoursources | Jan 31, 2009 |

Miguel de Unamunoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crawford Fitch, J. E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriņa, ZentaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raudive, KonstantīnsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Homo sum; nihil humani a me alienum puto, said the Latin playwright. For my part I would rather say: Nullum hominem a me alienum puto: I am a man; no other man do I deem a stranger.
The greater part of my work has been to disquiet my neighbor, to stir up the sediment of the hearts, to sow anguish in them, if possible.
The God of the heart, the living God is reached by way of faith and not by way of rational or mathematical conviction, and faith leads us back to Him, when we have left Him to stray after the lifeless God of logic.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,099,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible