I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1)…

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Pittacus Lore

Member:EllenAllen
Title:I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1)
Authors:Pittacus Lore
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 448 pages

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

I wanted to like this book, but I just didn't find the plotting to be compelling. I don't try very hard, yet even I could predict what was going to happen next. ( )
  phiguru | Mar 25, 2019 |
You can't always trust bestsellers. Just because everyone else is reading them doesn't mean they're good. Take The Da Vinci Code for example: some of the poorest writing around, but strangers would see me reading it and feel compelled to stop and tell me it was their "favorite book EVER." I'd sometimes ask: Oh, do you read much? No, was the usual reply, but they LOVED it. And... I guess it was kind of exciting and the plot was sorta clever. Not good enough to read anything more by the author, though. (I think it's what's called a 'plot-driven' story as opposed to 'character-driven.')

This one kind of falls into that category for me. The plot certainly sounded good: "They caught Number One in Malaysia. Number Two in England. And Number Three in Kenya. They killed them all. I am Number Four. I am next." How could you help but be interested by that? Basically, the story is that 9 young refugees from the planet Lorien are hiding out on Earth from savage aliens who've already destroyed Lorien and are now hunting them down. They each have an adult protector who keeps them safe and will help them develop special powers when they get older, but they already have abilities that would make them superheroes compared to us. But mostly they keep a low profile and move around a lot to avoid the bad guys. Number 4, or Daniel Jones as he's known in the beginning until he changes his name to John Smith, is the main character in this book. When he finds out Number 3 has been killed (a burning circle appears on his ankle and leaves a scar as each one is killed - and because of a charm they can only be killed in order) he and his guardian Henri move from Florida to Paradise, Ohio. And it's in Ohio that John finally makes some friends.

The plot is clever enough that it drew me in, but unfortunately, the writing isn't very good - and for a Young Adult book it's loaded with profanity. The writing gets worse as the story builds, and it finishes with a big cinematic flourish that got hard to follow. Throw in a sappy love story with a perfect girlfriend and I grew tired of it. And the audio book narrator was pretty bad - one voice sounded like Napoleon Dynamite and another like he was holding his nose. Still, it was a quick and mostly interesting story, even if I found myself rolling my eyes fairly often. But what about that author: Pittacus Lore? Obviously a pen name, so I looked him up and it was a couple of writers, one named James Frey. That name sounded familiar, and it turned out he was the author of a memoir who caused a scandal because he made up a bunch of stuff to make himself sound interesting and even fooled Oprah. (And yet, writers like him are still making lots of money, but I guess we can't expect someone who has no character to create characters with depth.)

At any rate it was mildly entertaining, but not something I'd want the kids to listen to because of all the profanity. Not going to bother with the next book either. ( )
  J.Green | Mar 15, 2019 |
Action-packed, very much YA, quite enjoyable. The whole ‘can only be killed in order’ didn’t make sense and wasn’t satisfactorially explained. I was given books 2 and 3 so borrowed this one from the library. ( )
  Griffin22 | Feb 12, 2019 |
I heard so many bad things about this book I was shocked by how much I loved it! Can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
Solid sci-fi. Actually, this isn't even one of my preferred genres, but I was still thoroughly engaged. I'm kinda really liking the whole plot that's set up here, and it's going in an interesting direction. Now, granted, there are some holes, but I felt as though I needed to go out of my way to even notice them with how engaged I was in the narrative. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Jan 20, 2019 |

Lore, Pittacusprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brender, IrmelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaplan, AdamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meer, Joost van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oostendorp, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE EVENTS IN THIS BOOK ARE REAL.

NAMES AND PLACES HAVE BEEN CHANGED
TO PROTECT THE LORIEN SIX,
WHO REMAIN IN HIDING.

TAKE THIS AS YOUR FIRST WARNING.

OTHER CIVILIZATIONS DO EXIST.

SOME OF THEM SEEK TO DESTROY YOU.
The door starts shaking.
I pick up a birth certificate that he has already finished.  The name written is James Hughes.  The date of birth would make me one year older.  I'd be sixteen and able to drive.  Then I bend over and look at the one he is in the process of creating. The name listed is Jobie Frey, age eighteen, a legal adult.

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

In rural Ohio, friendships and a beautiful girl prove distracting to a fifteen-year-old who has hidden on Earth for ten years waiting to develop the Legacies, or powers, he will need to rejoin the other six surviving Garde members and fight the Mogadorians who destroyed their planet, Lorien.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

2 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061969559, 0062026240

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,117,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible