Let's Talk About Race by Julius Lester

Let's Talk About Race

by Julius Lester

Other authors: Karen Barbour (Illustrator)

Large format picture book
  Lake_O_UCC | Jul 2, 2017 |
Julius Lester illustrations are quite weird to me, they are not like usual pictures. This book talks about race and how some races are different. "Beneath everyones skin are the same hard bones." "Do I see only: The color of skin, the shape of eye, the texture of your hair." This book didn't really catch my eye because I was kinda thrown off by the illustrations. I think if the illustrations were different, I could have gotten more from this book. ( )
  CKISSINGER | Apr 11, 2017 |
In today's society I think race is an issue children can face. This book is absolutely stunning. I like how the author goes into topics such as money and the area you live in. I know working in a childcare center children pick up on the smallest things and will repeat it to anyone and everyone. Others feelings tend to get hurt because they feel looked down upon because they do not live in the fancy neighborhood or mom may not have a job. Also race can be a issue in schools because if you are asian you are "smart" if you are not black you "can't play basketball" if you live in a nice house you are "rich" it's all about stereotypes and most of the time it makes kids upset. ( )
  Phallan | Feb 22, 2017 |
this book is beautifully illustrated. a great read for any age it has many opportunities to ask children how they view other people and why.it also gives a lot of teaching opportunities and ways to get to know each child's culture background.
  Jenni-butner | Feb 18, 2017 |
This nonfiction book tackles the topic of race in a positive, kid-friendly way.
Media: oil pastels, acrylic ( )
  catherineparry | Apr 12, 2016 |

Julius Lesterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barbour, KarenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I am a story.

So are you.

So is everyone.

Julius Lester says, "I write because our lives are stories. If enough of these stories are told, then perhaps we will begin to see that our lives are the same story. The differences are merely in the details." Now Mr. Lester shares his own story as he explores what makes each of us special. Karen Barbour's dramatic, vibrant paintings speak to the heart of Lester's unique vision, truly a celebration of all of us.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:16 -0400)

The author introduces the concept of race as only one component in an individual's or nation's story. Suggested level: junior, primary.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,643,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible