Angel Burn by L. A. Weatherly

Angel Burn (edition 2011)

by L. A. Weatherly

Member:crackthesafe
Title:Angel Burn
Authors:L. A. Weatherly
Info:Candlewick (2011), Hardcover, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Your library
Tags:fiction, young adult, read.in.2011, read.in.2012

Angel Burn by L. A. Weatherly

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton (wosret)
    wosret: I loved this alternate take on angel mythology! Great heroine and enjoyable romance.

English (85)  Spanish (1)  All (86)
Angel story with a twist.

I haven’t read a lot of Angel related fantasy stories because the two that I did read were generic and a bit off putting. When I started reading this story I was worried that it would fall into that class, however, I was pleasantly surprised that it did not.

Angel Burn follows Willow and Alex. Willow lives with her aunt and her sick mother. She a gift - she can see the life and possible futures of others. She’s also unaware of the part of her that allows for this gift.

Alex has been trained for what seems his entire life to hate Angels. He is part of an assassin group who calls themselves AKs; their sole purpose is to kill Angels.

By itself, it might seem a bit campy, but the idea that these “angels” came from a different realm and are dangerous to humans - who think that they are the most wonderful beings to exist - is different from most of the stories I’ve heard of so that was the first thing I enjoyed. Secondly, I enjoyed the character and relational development of Alex and Willow. While they were dancing around their feelings, it felt natural that this would happen and not forced drama. I liked the flow of the action, just enough to keep me interested, but at the same time, not overwhelming.

Without being too spoilery (read this as it might be spoilery!) somewhere in the middle, Alex and Willow’s relationship developed into romance and not a lot was left to the imagination. While this might have been doable for the middle of the book, in the very end, right after the conflict point. we were once again told about their romance with little left to the imagination. I felt as though wrapping it up right after the conflict might have been better than drawing the end out.

Overall I enjoyed this story and I’m looking forward to the second book. I’d like a few answers regarding these otherworldly beings and would like to see what happens to Alex, Willow and the world they occupy.

[review of arc via Netgalley] ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
So predictable. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
I had a copy of this book back home but never had enough time to read it, now that I moved to Kuwait, I found that this series is popular here, so I bought the first book and I just started reading it, after finishing the first chapter I told my husband: "When can we visit the library? I'm getting book 2 & 3." Yup, this good. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Published in the UK as Angel and in the USA as Angel Burn.

Willow knows she's different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into people's futures, know their dreams, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where she gets this power from... But Alex does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows Willow's secret and is on a mission to stop her. The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous and irresistible. In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.

In a world where angels are fierce stalkers whose irresistible force allows them to feed off humans and drain them of their vitality, a ruthless teenaged assassin of angels falls in love with a half-angel half-human girl, with devastating consequences.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,823,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible