Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

Bury Your Dead (2010)

by Louise Penny

Series: Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (6)

1,7761575,689 (4.26)1 / 387

English (157)  French (2)  All languages (159)
Yet another amazing story from Louise Penny. Lots going on here, including (spoiler alert) the back story of the event that has been alluded to before. Also, the quest to find and unearth the remains of Samuel De Champlain, the founder of Quebec.

Each of these Inspector Gamache stories is a pleasure to read. ( )
  CYGeeker | Sep 6, 2018 |
I haven't finished this book yet, but I'm already so intrigued. I felt that Olivier didn't commit the murder of the Hermit in the last book and this story hints that might be true. I love the way the author is providing hints to a tragic even without revealing too much. It's a wonderful device for this story. I love the setting in Quebec as well. I also love the focus on Beauvoir. I think he is a wonderful character, flawed, but wonderful, too.
Now I've finished the book and it's solution was just as satisfying as the reading. I love Louise Penney's stories so much. The deep characters and the stunning settings make for a luscious reading experience, more decadent than a chocolate dessert. ( )
  bcrowl399 | Aug 13, 2018 |
This series is one of the very few mystery books I read. They are smart, engaging and make me feel like I am going to visit old friends, albeit friends with many issues! This novel could stand alone - but why deprive yourself of the rest of the collection?
Aside from a mystery, the author has attempted to introduce readers to the ongoing "separation" issues between the French and English populations in Quebec. Though by no means an exhaustive exploration of the history or present, Penny offers respectful insight and a hopeful outlook - so congrats to her for that!
Inspector Gamache is a wonderful protagonist and I have been enjoying watching the other characters grow and evolve under his guidance! ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
New author for me. I really enjoyed this book. Beautifully written with several clever mysteries entwined . So well done. This book is in the midst of a series, but was still enjoyable as a stand alone. I will read more of this series, hopefully in order. I highly recommend ! ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
It is Winter Carnival in Quebec City, bitterly cold and surpassingly beautiful. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache has come not to join the revels but to recover from an investigation gone hauntingly wrong. But violent death is inescapable, even in the apparent sanctuary of the Literary and Historical Society - where an obsessive historian's quest for the remains of the founder of Quebec, Samuel de Champlain, ends in murder. Could a secret buried with Champlain for nearly 400 years be so dreadful that someone would kill to protect it?

Although he is supposed to be on leave, Gamache cannot walk away from a crime that threatens to ignite long-smoldering tensions between the English and the French. Meanwhile, he is receiving disquieting letters from the village of Three Pines, where beloved Bistro owner Olivier was recently convicted of murder. "It doesn't make sense," Olivier’s partner writes every day. "He didn't do it, you know." As past and present collide in this astonishing novel, Gamache must relive the terrible event of his own past before he can bury his dead. ( )
  jepeters333 | Jun 21, 2018 |
[T]his is brilliantly provocative and will appeal to fans of literary fiction, as well as to mystery lovers.
added by bell7 | editLibrary Journal

Crysler, IanAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rotstein, David BaldeosinghCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shireman, JonCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, LauraProducersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This book is dedicated to second chances—
Those who give them
And those who take them
Up the stairs they raced, taking them two at a time, trying to be as quiet as possible.

Starred Review. At the start of Agatha-winner Penny's moving and powerful sixth Chief Insp. Armand Gamache mystery (after 2009's The Brutal Telling), Gamache is recovering from a physical and emotional trauma, the exact nature of which isn't immediately disclosed, in Québec City. When the body of Augustin Renaud, an eccentric who'd spent his life searching for the burial site of Samuel de Champlain, Québec's founder, turns up in the basement of the Literary and Historical Society, Gamache reluctantly gets involved in the murder inquiry. Meanwhile, Gamache dispatches his longtime colleague, Insp. Jean Guy Beauvoir, to the quiet town of Three Pines to revisit the case supposedly resolved at the end of the previous book. Few writers in any genre can match Penny's ability to combine heartbreak and hope in the same scene. Increasingly ambitious in her plotting, she continues to create characters readers would want to meet in real life. 100,000 first printing.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

MINOTAUR EDITION:
It is Winter Carnival in Quebec City, bitterly cold and surpassingly beautiful. Chief inspector Armand Gamache has not come to join the revels but to recover from an investigation gone hauntingly wrong. But violent death is inescapable, even in the apparent sanctuary of the Literary and Historical Society - where an obsessive historian's quest for the remains of the founder of Québec, Samuel de Champlain, ends in murder. Could a secret buried buried with Champlain for nearly four hundred years be so dreadful that someone would kill to protect it.

Although he is supposed to be on leave, Gamache cannot walk away from a crime that threatens to ignite long-smouldering tensions between the English and the French. Meanwhile, he is receiving disquieting letters from the village of Three Pines, where beloved bistro owner Olivier was recently convicted of murder. "It doesn't make sense," Olivier's partner writes every day. "He didn't do it, you know."

As past and present collide in this astonishing novel, Gamache must relive a terrible event from his own past before he can begin to bury his dead.

An obsessive historian's quest for the remains of the founder of Quebec, Samuel de Champlain, ends in murder. Could a secret buried with Champlain for nearly 400 years be so dreadful that someone would kill to protect it? Although he is supposed to be on leave, Chief Inspector Gamache cannot walk away from a crime that threatens to ignite long-smoldering tensions between the English and the French. Meanwhile, he is receiving disquieting letters from the village of Three Pines, where beloved Bistro owner Olivier was recently convicted of murder.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Louise Penny's book Bury Your Dead was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,995,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible