Bury Your Dead (2010)

by Louise Penny

Series: Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (6)

2,5932014,785 (4.24)1 / 414
An obsessive historian's quest for the remains of the founder of Quebec, Samuel de Champlain, ends in murder. Could a secret buried with Champlain for nearly 400 years be so dreadful that someone would kill to protect it? Although he is supposed to be on leave, Chief Inspector Gamache cannot walk away from a crime that threatens to ignite long-smoldering tensions between the English and the French. Meanwhile, he is receiving disquieting letters from the village of Three Pines, where beloved Bistro owner Olivier was recently convicted of murder.… (more)

English (199)  French (3)  All languages (202)
Bury Your Dead is three stories in one, the pain and displacement of each feeding back into each. Gamache, on leave from a deadly and disastrous case which continues to haunt him, is in Quebec for Winter Carnival. Initially, focused on physical and emotional healing, he is caught up in a local murder. At the same time he sends Beauvoir, also recovering from wounds, back to Three Pines to review a local's arrest and conviction on murder charges. ( )
  cfk | Oct 1, 2022 |
a smart absorbing mystery

As always, an ineresting plot with charactures that learn or not from their mistakes in a completely believable way. neat history of Quebec. ( )
  ELockett | Sep 26, 2022 |
Chief Inspector Armand Gamache plunges into the strangest case of his career...a murder in the library of the oldest building in Quebec.
  SABC | Aug 28, 2022 |
Another wonderful mystery by Louise Penny that's full of interesting people and surprises. ( )
  DebCushman | Aug 25, 2022 |
I think that the Gamache Books seem to always deliver. This one was a bit slower for me than the others - I am not sure if it had to do with my mood or it was something about the pacing.

I liked the change of scenery to Quebec City. As always - Penny did a great job of bringing color to the location and the food descriptions always make me hungry! ( )
  alanna1122 | Jul 6, 2022 |
[T]his is brilliantly provocative and will appeal to fans of literary fiction, as well as to mystery lovers.
added by bell7 | editLibrary Journal

Crysler, IanAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rotstein, David BaldeosinghCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shireman, JonCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, LauraProducersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This book is dedicated to second chances—
Those who give them
And those who take them
Up the stairs they raced, taking them two at a time, trying to be as quiet as possible.
(p. 31) "My English isn't very good. It's OK, but you should hear the head librarian speak French. At least, I think she's speaking French. She clearly thinks she is. But I can't understand a word. In the entire interview she spoke French and I spoke English. It was like something out of a cartoon. She must think I'm a moron. So far all I've done is grinned and nodded and I think I might have asked whether she's descended from the lower orders."
"Why did you ask that?"
"I didn't mean to. I wanted to ask if she had access to the basement, but something went wrong," he smiled ruefully. "I think clarity might be important in a murder case."
"I think you might be right. What did she say to your questions?"
"She got quite upset and said that the night is a strawberry."
"Oh dear."
Langlois sighed a puff of frustration. "Will you come in? I know you speak English. I've heard you at conferences."
"But how do you know I wasn't mangling the language too? Maybe the night is a strawberry."

(p. 37) "I understand that the night is a strawberry," said Gamache, smiling slightly.
"Oh, you heard about that, did you?" Elizabeth smiled. "Poor Winnie. No ear for languages. Reads French perfectly, you know. Always the highest marks in school, but can't seem to speak it. Her accent would stop a train."

(p. 62) Winnie Manning came in next and confirmed that the night was indeed a strawberry, but added that the English were good pumpkins and that the library had a particularly impressive section on mattresses and mattress warfare.

(p. 141) ...Winnie had greeted them, given them the bilingual brochures, and invited them to join. She'd even given some of the more brazen a brief tour of the library, pointing out the fine pillows on the walls, the collection of figs on the shelves, and asking if any of them would like to become umlauts. Not surprisingly, few did. But three people actually paid twenty dollars and joined, shamed into it by Winnie's obvious kindness and handicap.
"Did you mention that the night is a strawberry?" Elizabeth asked when Winnie returned with a membership payment.
"I did. They didn't disagree."

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Louise Penny's book Bury Your Dead was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,179,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible