HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache…

Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Louise Penny (Author)

2,6792074,723 (4.24)1 / 417
An obsessive historian's quest for the remains of the founder of Quebec, Samuel de Champlain, ends in murder. Could a secret buried with Champlain for nearly 400 years be so dreadful that someone would kill to protect it? Although he is supposed to be on leave, Chief Inspector Gamache cannot walk away from a crime that threatens to ignite long-smoldering tensions between the English and the French. Meanwhile, he is receiving disquieting letters from the village of Three Pines, where beloved Bistro owner Olivier was recently convicted of murder.… (more)
Member:eaconfalone
Title:Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel
Authors:Louise Penny (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2011), Edition: First, 400 pages

Work Information

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny (2010)

English (206)  French (3)  All languages (209)
Armand Ganache is in Quebec City during winter carnival while recovering from the physical and psychological injuries from the previous book. A body is found in the basement of the English Library and Historical Society. Although he is on medical leave, Ganache becomes involved in solving the murder of this amateur archeologist trying to find the remains of Champlain, the "Father of Quebec". So there is the current murder mystery, as well as the mystery of what did happen to Champlain's body.
A third thread is the story of Beauvoir, who is also on medical leave, returning to Three Pines to resolve a mistake in a previous case in The Brutal Telling. ( )
  tangledthread | Jan 31, 2023 |
I really loved this one, although it was a little difficult to follow on audio. I loved the combo of time periods and the revelation of the traumatic event in the recent past. Super fun that it wove so many story lines together. Loved Henri being such a present character too! ( )
  Sue.Gaeta | Jan 10, 2023 |
in my top five of the Inspector Gamache books, because I love the way Penny interweaves the history of Quebec and Champlain, and the historical relationship of the French and the English in Quebec City, Gamache's relationship with his mentor, and the juxtaposition of the ways that Gamache and Beauvoir recuperate (or don't) from their previous trauma, which we know very little about. Also, the way that Penny backtracks that whole story over the next (several? two?) books. Well, love is not the right word, but she is so effective in her choice of narrative methods. What happens to Beauvoir over the next several books is often so difficult to hear/read/be exposed to and so real. ( )
  airgid | Oct 30, 2022 |
I've had the Inspector Gamache mysteries on my TBR list for a long time and finally read one a couple of years ago. Because of his name, I assumed in took place in France so was pleasantly surprised that it is actually in French Canada. More ignorance on my part is that I didn't really know anything about the conflicts and animosity between the British-French Canadians and the French-French Canadians. So, there are always a lot of little side bars and sometimes, as in this book, direct conflict effecting the storyline based on this history. This book in particular deals with a lot of that history and the Seven Years War, and I am always interested to hear a non-US perspective on historical events so I found that very fascinating. Of course, as with a lot of cozy mysteries (although I feel this series is a mix of cozy and police procedural), one of the main characters of the whole series is also the town of Three Pines itself and all of the quirky residents. This is definitely not a series you should read out of order. There are many storylines that interweave from book to book and continue forward. The series is always a reliable good read and I'm looking forward to catching up to the newest in the series, although I have a long way to go with Louise Penny working on book number 17 as we speak. ( )
  JediBookLover | Oct 29, 2022 |
Penny expertly weaves three story lines into a masterful whole. The odd thing is, I don't buy 'who done it' in the main case of this novel, but yet I'm giving this one 5 stars because that doesn't really matter. My heart was more involved in what had happened to Gamache and Beauvoir in the recent past, what Beauvoir is up to in this book, and the atmosphere and history of Quebec. As always with Penny, the way she describes relationships and people and their joys and sorrows is achingly beautiful at times. If you haven't read any of the Gamache series yet, you can, of course, read this one by itself, but I don't recommend it. Starting from the beginning is the best case scenario, but at least read #5 The Brutal Telling before Bury Your Dead. It will be a much richer experience for you. ( )
  Chris.Wolak | Oct 13, 2022 |
[T]his is brilliantly provocative and will appeal to fans of literary fiction, as well as to mystery lovers.
added by bell7 | editLibrary Journal

Crysler, IanAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rotstein, David BaldeosinghCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shireman, JonCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, LauraProducersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This book is dedicated to second chances—
Those who give them
And those who take them
Up the stairs they raced, taking them two at a time, trying to be as quiet as possible.
(p. 31) "My English isn't very good. It's OK, but you should hear the head librarian speak French. At least, I think she's speaking French. She clearly thinks she is. But I can't understand a word. In the entire interview she spoke French and I spoke English. It was like something out of a cartoon. She must think I'm a moron. So far all I've done is grinned and nodded and I think I might have asked whether she's descended from the lower orders."
"Why did you ask that?"
"I didn't mean to. I wanted to ask if she had access to the basement, but something went wrong," he smiled ruefully. "I think clarity might be important in a murder case."
"I think you might be right. What did she say to your questions?"
"She got quite upset and said that the night is a strawberry."
"Oh dear."
Langlois sighed a puff of frustration. "Will you come in? I know you speak English. I've heard you at conferences."
"But how do you know I wasn't mangling the language too? Maybe the night is a strawberry."

(p. 37) "I understand that the night is a strawberry," said Gamache, smiling slightly.
"Oh, you heard about that, did you?" Elizabeth smiled. "Poor Winnie. No ear for languages. Reads French perfectly, you know. Always the highest marks in school, but can't seem to speak it. Her accent would stop a train."

(p. 62) Winnie Manning came in next and confirmed that the night was indeed a strawberry, but added that the English were good pumpkins and that the library had a particularly impressive section on mattresses and mattress warfare.

(p. 141) ...Winnie had greeted them, given them the bilingual brochures, and invited them to join. She'd even given some of the more brazen a brief tour of the library, pointing out the fine pillows on the walls, the collection of figs on the shelves, and asking if any of them would like to become umlauts. Not surprisingly, few did. But three people actually paid twenty dollars and joined, shamed into it by Winnie's obvious kindness and handicap.
"Did you mention that the night is a strawberry?" Elizabeth asked when Winnie returned with a membership payment.
"I did. They didn't disagree."

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Louise Penny's book Bury Your Dead was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,924,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible