The Legacy (2010)

by Katherine Webb

5435342,594 (3.48)1 / 34
After the death of their grandmother, Erica Calcott and her sister Beth return to Storton Manor in Wiltshire, England, where they, while sorting through her things, decide to discover what really happened to their cousin Henry whose disappearance tore the family apart so that the past can be laid to rest.… (more)

English (48)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (53)
Excecional! ( )
  HelenaGama | May 1, 2020 |
An old country-house, an inheritance and family-secrets, it's my guilty pleasure-book, excellent for cold winter-nights. The story is about two sisters who have inherited the house of their grandmother, but soon discover she hid a couple of shocking family-secrets that still have repercussions in the present. Enjoyable read in its genre. ( )
  Trifolia | Mar 15, 2018 |
I just read the last hundred pages and was entirely engrossed with the ending. When I first started the book, I found that I spent a lot of time questioning what was happening and who the people were and what time period the actual novel was taking place. My questions were eventually answered as I kept reading . . . glad I did! The story is actually told by two different people - Caroline and her life around 1900's in America and then Erica and her life around 2010. In order not to give away too much of the plot, I will quote something from the back cover of the book. "Erica and Beth Calcott return to the house where they spent idyllic summers as children. As Erica sorts through her late grandmother's belongings, strange fragments of family history, and vivid memories, break the surface of the present day . . . Memories of their cousin, Henry, who disappeared one summer long ago. Of their grandmother, a bitter woman, full of a deep, dark hatred. As Erica sifts through remnants of the past, a secret emerges, reaching all the way back to a beautiful heiress in turn-of-the-century Oklahoma. As past and present converge, Erica and Beth must come to terms with two terrible acts of betrayal - and the heartbreaking legacy left behind." ( )
  MelAnnC | Jul 22, 2016 |
dvije sestre se vracaju u oronilu kucu za koju ih vezu samo ruzne uspomene,kakve tajne ce sve saznati, zivote promjeniti,progledati,ozdraviti... ( )
  ceca78 | Apr 10, 2016 |
This is an absorbing book. It takes place in two different time periods: the present and the early part of the 20th century: from 1902-1905. The prologue is set in 1905 and intrigued me for most of the book.

Caroline is the historical protagonist who we meet in 1902, living in the United States. She has fallen in love with a farmer who lives out on the prairies. Marrying him will mean leaving everything she knows and adjusting to a very different lifestyle.

Interspersed with Caroline’s story, the present day story features Erica and her older sister Beth who have just inherited an old family mansion. Beth has something in her past that she wants to forget. Erica, by contrast, wants to remember. She’s also intrigued by the more distant past, when she finds some old letters, and a photograph of her great-grandmother Caroline as a young woman, with an unknown baby…

It’s well written, the story gradually unfolding in both time frames. I thought the way that the secrets came to light, with a few twists and turns along the way, was cleverly and neatly done.

In places it felt a bit long-winded; I wanted the middle section to go rather faster. But by the final third of the book I was gripped, guessing things I was evidently supposed to guess, surprised by events that were, nevertheless, believable in context.

The characterisation isn’t particularly deep. I didn’t feel any real emotional connection to anyone, and felt that some of Caroline’s actions in her part of the story were a bit unlikely. One or two parts of the story were a bit frustrating, too; and I’d like to have seen some more positive resolutions of a couple of the threads.

Nonetheless, it’s a thought-provoking story that paints a fascinating picture of life on the prairies over a century ago, contrasted strongly modern-day country living. Changing attitudes to minority groups are also shown, almost in passing, in a way that feels real.

Recommended to anyone who likes well-written and thought-provoking women's fiction. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Katherine Webbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sundberg, AnnikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twee zussen, een hartverscheurend geheim en een verleden dat niet verborgen kan blijven...
To Mum and Dad
Gradually, Caroline returned to her senses.
'Tis calm indeed! so calm, that it disturbs
And vexes meditation with its strange
And extreme silentness.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Frost at Midnight

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Katherine Webb's book The Legacy was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 197,637,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible