Flora Segunda: Being the Magickal Mishaps of…

by Ysabeau S. Wilce

Series: Flora Segunda (1)

Fourteen-year-old Flora Fyrdraaca, whose mother is the Warlord's Commanding General and whose father is mad, kindly helps her house's magical--and long-banished--butler, unaware that he draws strength from the Fyrdraaca will.
Member:DavidGlover
Title:Flora Segunda: Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog (Magic Carpet Books)
Authors:Ysabeau S. Wilce
Info:Graphia (2008), Edition: 1, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****

Flora Segunda: Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog by Ysabeau S. Wilce

I couldn't finish this. I made it about a quarter of the way through, it was overdue, and I just didn't care enough to request it again after I'd returned it. It's well written, and I found myself enjoying the main character, but it didn't hook my interest fast enough.
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
Haven't even finished this yet, but I'd put it up there with Pullman's His Dark Materials and the Harry Potter series. A smart heroine, FANTASTIC world-building (think pre-industrial California having dealings with Aztecs), and a lot of fun. ( )
  allison_s | May 25, 2020 |
Fun. Enjoyed it. ( )
  daxjansen | Dec 3, 2019 |
Flora Segunda lives in a magical house of many rooms and wonders. But ever since her mother banished the house's magical butler, it has been falling apart. Flora is responsible for keeping it clean and taking care of the dogs, horses, and her alcoholic father who is prone to violent explosions, while her mother is away leading the country's military. One day she breaks one of her mother's rules and takes the elevator. The elevator has a mind of its own and deposits her in a part of the house that has been closed up and unavailable as long as Flora can remember. What she discovers there changes everything and catapults Flora into an adventure that will change her life forever.

Wilce has created an unusual world full of magic and adventure. It took awhile to get used to the unusual words and expressions, but the details did make the world come alive (such as the complicated system of greetings and bows that designated the relative status of the meeting parties). The characters were interesting and complex and the story had enough twists and turns to keep me guessing. There was one point when the author seemed to go off on a tangent that distracted form the original story line, but in the end it turned out to be important so I was able to forgive her for the earlier confusion. I appreciated how the author had plenty of powerful female characters (Flora's mother is the general that runs the military in their country) and a spunky heroine. I recommend this book to those who enjoy young adult fantasy worlds full of magic. I will definitely continue the series. ( )
  Cora-R | Jul 11, 2019 |
Flora is one of the best YA heroines out there. Isabeau Wilce's world of Califa and environs is highly imaginative, well thought out, and one that warrants further exploration. The narrator is charming and entirely believable. Viva Flora! ( )
  JMLandels | Jan 11, 2019 |

Wilce, Ysabeau S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fortune, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jackman, JenniferCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richardson, OwenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Maiden caught me in the Wild

Where I was dancing merrily;

She put me into her Cabinet,

And Lock'd me up with a golden Key.

—William Blake
For Two Furies, Ooo & My
Blasted heck, I'm supposed to be writing my Catorcena speech, where I am supposed to be celebrating the fabulousness of my House, the glory of my family, the fantasticness of my future. But I can't think of what to write because Crackpot Hall isn't fabulous, and the Fyrdraaca family is not much glorious anymore, and my future is hardly going to be fantastic.

Flora Fyrdraaca, a Girl of Spirit, is approaching her 14th birthday when she'll celebrate her Catorcena, coming-of-age party that she has certain tasks she needs to complete before then or her Mother, the General will give her the Look that has reduced colonels to tears. But it also means that next semester she'll be old enough to go to the Barracks and follow her mother into the military, and she doesn't want to, but hasn't mustered the courage to tell her mother that. On top of that the family home which has 11 thousand rooms that move around randomly, due in part to the fact that her mother has banished the family "Butler", a magical creature bound to the family for centuries. Flora finds Valefor, the banished butler and he helps her with some of her tasks, but seems to have some ulterior motives.

She also has her occasionally mad father, Poppy to deal with, a mass of exuberant dogs, a fashion plate of a best (boy) friend, Pirates (well, one anyway!), murderous bird creatures. Thank goodness, Flora has some magic skills of her own to help her along, even if they are occasionally undependable

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,222,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible