No Rest for the Wicked

by Kresley Cole

Series: Immortals After Dark (2)

New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Kresley Cole delivers a scorching tale about a foreboding vampire who lives in the shadows--and the beautiful assassin determined to hunt him down--in the "sensational" (RT Book Reviews) second novel of the Immortals After Dark series. Centuries ago, Sebastian Wroth was turned into a vampire against his will. Burdened with hatred and alone for ages, he sees little reason to live. Until an exquisite, fey creature comes to kill him, inadvertently saving him instead. When Kaderin the Cold Hearted lost her two beloved sisters to a vampire attack long ago, a benevolent force deadened her sorrow--accidentally extinguishing all of her emotions. Yet whenever Kaderin encounters Sebastian, her feelings--particularly lust--emerge multiplied. For the first time, she's unable to complete a kill. And when the prize of a legendary month-long contest is powerful enough to change history, Kaderin will do anything to win it for her sisters. Wanting only to win her, forever, Sebastian competes as well, taking every opportunity--as they travel to ancient tombs and through catacombs, seeking relics around the world--to use her new feelings to seduce her. But when Kaderin is forced to choose between the vampire she's falling for and reuniting her family, how can she live without either?… (more)
    A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: "A hunger like no other" is the first book of this series.

Book 2 complete and I definitely liked this one better than book one! Book was was fine but this book definitely had the type of hero and heroine I like in a romance which made this book a lot more enjoyable to me. This book also goes a lot further towards explaining the world of this series.

This book as a sort of fetch-quest, amazing race style plot which I enjoyed for the most part. I sometimes find this type of plot to be dull because eventually I get tired of just having to get different things. That wasn't the case with this book because the author never lingers on the dull parts of these quests and any parts of the quests that are discussed are directly tied into the romance. The quest parts also really help to establish the characterization.

Our heroes in this book are Sebastian (turned vampire) and Kaderin (Valkyrie). We were briefly to introduced Kaderin in book one but I really loved her here. I loved that she's the brooding character in this partnership rather than the male love interest. She's the one that has to adjust to being open to falling in love and feeling strong emotions for another person. She literally couldn't feel emotions before she met Sebastian and I really enjoyed seeing him go on that journey. I also really enjoyed Sebastian's journey towards excepting that he is a vampire now and deciding how he's going to deal with that.

I really loved how this book opened up the world. This book was a really great way of introducing new characters and species which I enjoyed learning about. I know that the next book occurs mostly parallel to this book but stars Bowen and I'm very interested in seeing what that's like. The plan is to read it tomorrow but we'll see what happens! ( )
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |
While I enjoyed Emma and Lachlan's book, I liked this one better. Sebastian's great, and I love the moment when he thinks they're under attack when it's actually that his heart has started beating again. He's willing to give up everything just so Kaderin can be happy, which is painful to see play out, even though you know it'll be okay. And I felt for Kaderin when she started feeling things again and was so unprepared for it. Not being able to feel anything for 1000 years, and then all of a sudden feeling attraction, sadness, and joy when you're just trying to kill this hot vampire in front of you? And then trying to sort everything out? That'd be kinda tough.

I appreciated that we get into more of the Lore and how the world works, especially concerning vampires and valkyries. The tone in this book is better, and the dialogue flows more smoothly. The overlapping plotlines with other books are interesting, as well.

(I switched from the Kindle version to the audio just because I love Robert Petkoff's narration. He does all the voices and accents so well!) ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
This is not my usual genre, I picked this up as a request from my best friend who absolutely loves romance novels. We did this as a buddy ready which made it so much more fun and we managed to devour this book in less then 24 hours, with check in calls every 5 chapters.

The story obviously focuses heavily on character building, since its you know romance, haha. I actually really don't care for vampires in general, they are my least favorite paranormal creature, but I actually walked away liking Sebastian with this book. I liked that he was this big hulking dude who was timid and scared, and always worried he was going to hurt a woman, it was adorable. And the protective attitude was amazing, I will say I got annoyed when he had that bloodlust thing going and became very demanding and controlling, that's not something I like, but i'm glad it wasn't a lasting thing with his character.

I also really wish Kaderin's height had NEVER been revealed. If there isn't something I hate more then anything is that every female needs to be 5 foot nothing to be considering mind blowingly beautiful, and a feisty tiny strong girl. Ugh us average height women would like to be portrayed too you know, not all women are tiny little balls of fury, I'm sorry I just HATE this trope of 6foot tall man and 5foot tall woman, stop it, give us average height and even tall ladies a chance with these huge hulking men!!!, This is more then likely why I fell out of romance.

Okay away from that, I really liked how each chapter ended in such a manner that it just made me want to keep reading more. It was like cliffhanger city which each chapter.

It was fun, there was action, and you know what, those sexy sexy scenes where, ohh sexy! I don't even know how to write about them in a review, but um Kresley Cole knows whats she is doing when writing such a scene. ( )
  SweetKokoro | Jul 30, 2020 |
I liked this "slow burn" (even though it isn't slow in the slightest) more than 1st book. As beautiful ladies from Fated Mates like to say 'Kresley evolves', and I wholeheartedly agree. If every book is better than the previous one... well, can't wait to read it! ( )
  Alevis | May 17, 2020 |
These are fun little books. They're not great moving literature but they're perfect for a lazy Saturday afternoon when I want something easy to read. I love the way Cole blends all different types of paranormal creatures together in the books and can't wait to see one that doesn't feature a vampire. My only gripe with the books is that, so far, they are solely based on the characters falling instantly in love (or at least one of them knowing that the other is his "mate"). There's not a whole lot of surprise as to what's going to happen in the books but they're engrossing.

I will be actively looking for the books at used bookstores but won't pay full price for them. I also won't mind if I'm reading them out of order (especially since there seems to be differing lists as to how the books should be numbered.) ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |

Kresley Coleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Petkoff, RobertReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Charrier, MichelleTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kovács János,Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oder, BettinaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Two of my brothers are dead, Sebastian Wroth thought, staring up from the floor as he fought to keep from writhing in pain.

In this next installment in the Immortals After Dark Series, USA Today Bestselling author Kresley Cole delivers a scorching tale about a forbidding vampire who lives in the shadows and the beautiful assassin who hunts him there.

A soldier weary of life . . .
Centuries ago, Sebastian Wroth was turned into a vampire – a nightmare in his mind – against his will. Burdened with hatred and alone for ages, he sees little reason to live. Until an exquisite, fey creature comes to kill him, inadvertently saving him instead.

A Valkyrie assassin dispatched to destroy him . . .
When Kaderin the Cold Hearted lost her two beloved sisters to a vampire attack long ago, a benevolent force deadened her sorrow – accidentally extinguishing all of her emotions. Yet whenever she encounters Sebastian, her feelings – particularly lust – emerge multiplied. For the first time, she's unable to complete a kill.

Become competitors in a legendary hunt.
The prize of the month-long contest is powerful enough to change history, and Kaderin will do anything to win it for her sisters. Wanting only to win her, forever, Sebastian competes as well, taking every opportunity – as they travel to ancient tombs and through catacombs, seeking relics around the world – to use her new feelings to seduce her. But when forced to choose between the vampire she's falling for and reuniting her family, how can Kaderin live without either?

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,110,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible