How to Expand Love: Widening the Circle of…

How to Expand Love: Widening the Circle of Loving Relationships

by His Holiness the Dalai Lama

This book is an excellent "how-to" book on becoming a more loving, and all-around better human being. I truly believe that the methods the Dalai Lama write about in the book are sound and will certainly not hurt anyone who takes the time to use them. My problem with the book was that I have trouble entertaining the idea of re-incarnation, and although it isn't necessary to buy into it for the book to apply to your life, it is somewhat central to many of his arguments. That aside, the book is a quick and pleasant read that may tempt you to earmark many pages to be re-read later. ( )
  smitkevi | Jul 24, 2008 |
Circulo de Lectores (2008), Pasta dura con sobrecubierta, 173 págs.
  koodoo | Jul 24, 2008 |
The Dalai Lama is an amazing man, full of love and compassion for humanity (of which we could use more). His meditations are simple and easy to follow. The loving kindness meditation of starting with someone nearest to you and working outward to strangers and enemies, encompassing them with light and love is a powerful meditation. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Apr 28, 2008 |

In de zoektocht naar h«l ware geluk en
voldoening is i-r uiers belangrijker Jan hel geven
, en ontvangen van liefde. Maar begrijpen wij de
buitengewone krachten van de liefde eigenlijk
wel goed? Kunnen wc lielde koesteren en
naar waarde inschatten?
In Veiyrui'l

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743269683, Hardcover)

Continuing the literary work he began with The Art of Happiness, in this book, Tibet’s revered spiritual teacher the Dalai Lama discusses the importance of giving and receiving love as the quintessential step to achieving a life of true happiness and fulfillment. In his characteristic direct and simple-to-understand fashion, the Dalai Lama offers guidelines and illustrative examples from his own life that instruct readers on how to move away from self-centered egotistic concerns and habitual tendencies to rigidly judge and categorize others, in order to become more compassionate and accepting of everyone we encounter throughout the day. To assist this process, he also shares exercises and techniques that have been part of Tibetan Buddhist teachings for many centuries.

By committing ourselves to becoming more compassionate and nonjudgmental about others, the Dalai Lama maintains, we are primarily benefiting ourselves, for the end result is one of open-hearted relationships capable of transforming all aspects of our lives and leading us ever closer to a life guided by the principles of wisdom and unshakeable joy. As with all of his writings, How To Expand Love is written in a simple yet elegant style, while imparting profound and powerful teachings that, if committed to, can lead to a realization of our true state of oneness with all of life. This is a very valuable book for today’s fractious times. Larry Trivieri Jr.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:31 -0400)

In this simple primer on compassion and kindness, the Dalai Lama teaches that "if we really want happiness, we must widen the sphere of love." The book draws on many of the same principles found in His Holiness's other works, most notably The Art of Happiness, but it presents them in a seven-step process that is both practical and wise. Readers are encouraged to use the warm feeling they have for their best friends as a model of how they can regard all people and extend their circle of loving relationships to include others, even enemies. Then they can proceed to the next steps: developing a "heroic intention" to further their personal enlightenment, having compassion for the suffering of others and committing to a life of altruism. Although the last few stages of this plan can be blurry and indistinct, the overall effect is valuable. This is a generous and sensible road map to not-so-random acts of kindness.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,401,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible