dismiss

The High Lord (Black Magician Trilogy) by…

The High Lord (Black Magician Trilogy) (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Trudi Canavan

Life should have been easier for Sonea, now that Regin ignored her and the rest of the novices treated her with wary respect, but she cannot forget what she witnessed in Akkarin's underground room, or his warning that Kyralia's ancient enemy is watching the Guild closely. The last few years have been good for Cery. He has a respected position among the Thieves, and connections in high and low places. When an exotic stranger offers to help him with a secret task, Cery knows he should refuse, but life would be boring without the occasional risk... As Akkarin reveals more, Sonea does not know what to believe or what she fears most - that the truth is as terrifying as he claims or that he is trying to make her his accomplice in black magic.… (more)
Member:dennymeta
Title:The High Lord (Black Magician Trilogy)
Authors:Trudi Canavan
Info:Orbit (2004), Paperback, 656 pages

The High Lord by Trudi Canavan (2003)

Recently added byfantasymatt, AMDuarte, rena75, KR-inventory, Starsister12, Alqua, bobheadxi, private library, lipidity

English (51)  German (3)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (57)
El mejor libros de los tres , una forma increíble para acabar la trilogía, con muchisima más acción que los dos anteriores. Me engancho tanto que me costaba dejar de leer. Sin duda una gran lectura y super recomendado. 5 estrellas sin duda. ( )
  airun95 | Feb 13, 2020 |
It has been a year since Sonea won over Regin in the public duel but she still hasn't won over her fear of Akkarin. It's hard to even be in his presence as she constantly thinks back to the night in the basement of his house. But Akkarin has stopped leaving her alone as he starts giving her books about the history of the Guild; where no one other than the Guild's architect himself has used blood magic to create the Academy. As her interest grows, he gives her more and more material. She's uncertain wether to trust him or any of the books, but it's hard to resist the need of understanding what blood magic truly is.

At the same time, a serial murderer is haunting the city. The victims are all found dead even though there's hardly any signs of violence and all wounds are considered minimal – sometimes nothing more than a tiny cut. It soon becomes obvious there's something evil at play; something using blood magic. And according to Akkarin, whatever that something is... it's only the beginning.

This was honestly the best book in the series, undoubtedly. It was an exciting page-turner with lots of action with magic and battles; the stuff I like more than anything. It was definitely the end of the trilogy; kind of like the series' The Return of the King and not just by both being the third book. I feel like this book really stepped out from the middle book which definitely felt like, well, the middle of a story. Right after the first action and right before the last action.

I loved learning more about Akkarin and who he truly is. However, it felt a bit odd to me to see him and Sonea together as I've always pictured her as a teenager and him as an adult. I realise Sonea is near twenty by this book, but I've constantly pictured her as Aria Stark which has given her a younger look in my mind. So, for me, that part felt very odd. However, I couldn't get enough of Akkarin. Or Cerny, who really excelled in this part of the story. I love him so much. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
Quiero ya la otra saga ( )
  dieciseislunas | Jun 2, 2019 |
The High Lord is the third book in Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy. It carries on the journey of Sonea as she continues to learn the art of magic. In this final instalment, Sonea and Akkarin have been exiled from Kyralia for the use of Black Magic.

The Bad Stuff: As always, I struggle with the internal monologue and it's use to lead the reader. There are some obvious plot twists that could have been presented more subtly.

The Good Stuff: This is set in a well defined world, with familiar characters whose stories have been followed through the previous two books. The story flows smoothly and brings a conclusion to the series.

On the whole this was a great end to the Black Magician series. I enjoyed all three books and so far, have found this title to be my favourite of Trudi's books. I give this one 4 out of 5 golden bookmarks. ( )
  AWA1 | Sep 24, 2018 |
the ending was unpredictable. I thought this would be another happy-ending story, but I was wrong.
Well, despite of it, I still LOVE this book, and LOVE Akkarin :) ( )
  gabrielleindah | Jan 15, 2018 |

Trudi Canavanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my friends, Yvonne and Paul. Thank you for your help, honesty and patience, and for reading this story over, and over, and over . . .
In ancient Kyralian poetry the moon is known as the Eye.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,652,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible