Night Walks (Penguin Great Ideas) by Charles…

Night Walks (Penguin Great Ideas)

by Charles Dickens

44None260,462 (3.94)None

This slim book of essays by Dickens is a true joy to read. While not all of these are actually accounts of his wanderings after sunset due to a case of insomnia, all of them have to do with something dark - making it a cohesive collection. Of course, as this is Dickens, the language is a touch difficult at times, but never to the point where readers won't understand the gist. ( )
  Davida.Chazan | Sep 7, 2013 |
I was given this book by someone who knew of my love of all things London - and Dickens too. Choice inspired by the current Dickens exhibition at the London Museum, where the title piece is read over film of modern London through the night. Which demonstrated just how true much of what he wrote still is.

The book is a collection of short semi-journalistic articles. I always think that one can never tell with Dickens' at what point his journalism slides into fiction. But a good read notwithstanding, although I enjoyed (if enjoyed is the right word) the pieces about Dickens experience visiting the homes of the poor rather more than the title piece. A fascinating and somewhat upsetting look at the underbelly of the great city in Victorian times, which manages somehow not be prurient poverty tourism. ( )
  anyotherbizniz | Apr 28, 2012 |

Charles Dickens describes here his time as an insomniac, when he decided to cure himself by walking through London in the small hours, and discovered homelessness, drunkenness and vice on the streets. In further essays, Dickens also writes of his day as a lost child in the city, and the flourishing variety of betting shops, from adapted tobacconist to mahogany office. (Penguin blurb)
Contains essays from his Selected Journalism 1850 - 1870

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014104750X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:38 -0400)

ESSAYS, JOURNALS, LETTERS & OTHER PROSE WORKS. Charles Dickens describes in "Night Walks" his time as an insomniac, when he decided to cure himself by walking through London in the small hours, and discovered homelessness, drunkenness, and vice on the streets. This collection of essays shows Dickens as one of the greatest visionaries of the city in all its variety and cruelty. Great ideas. Throughout history, some books have changed the world. They have transformed the way we see ourselves - and each other. They have inspired debate, dissent, war, and revolution. They have enlightened, outraged, provoked, and comforted. They have enriched lives - and destroyed them. Now Penguin brings you the works of the great thinkers, pioneers, radicals, and visionaries whose ideas shook civilization and helped make us who we are.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,460,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible