The Learning Curve by Melissa Nathan

The Learning Curve (2006)

by Melissa Nathan

Nicky Hobbs loves teaching at the local primary school. She's idolised by her class, particularly ten year old Oscar Samuels, but she's starting to find she'd quite like some adult adoration for a change. Mark Samuels is a frazzled single father working all the hours God gives to provide for his beloved son, Oscar. But he's unable to see that Oscar would prefer his presence to his presents once in a while. Ms Hobbs knows Mr Samuels is a heartless workaholic. Mr Samuels is certain Ms Hobbs is an interfering busybody. But when they finally meet, they start to discover that first impressions can be deceptive. And perhaps they've both got a bit of learning to do.… (more)

This was recommended to me, but I couldn't get into it. Suddenly I realised why - all the characters have an IQ of about 90! I just wanted to smack them... ( )
  sarahemmm | Apr 6, 2018 |
Better than average chick-lit about a teacher struggling to balance her love life and career. Some humour, some great characters, and a fast-paced plot. Well written light reading. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Cute, sweet and funny with a very unrealistic ending. ( )
  eesti23 | Jan 15, 2014 |
Fantastic book. I have never laughted out loud so much when reading a book - and sniggered quite a bit! really easy to read and some very good romantic twists and turns. Would def recommend. The story does end a bit quickly but does not spoil the book in anyway - if you are disappointed that the book has finished - it must be good. :) ( )
  Cappa-books | Sep 4, 2010 |
A group of teachers at a London school have a year of miscommunications and confusion in their professional life as well as in their personal lives. The Year 6 teacher Miss Nicky Hobbs has her hands full with her newest class, especially when she discovers one of her favorite pupils (Oscar Samuels) has a father that doesn’t seem to be a part of his life. The ear full that Nicky gave to Mark Samuels was a career ender, if he told her boss, but maybe it is the eye opener that Mark needs to become a better father.

A very large, long book that had a lot happening all the time. The beginning of the book took a very long time (about 100 pages) to get to the point. Normally I like back story and ‘more information’, but this one almost had more than necessary. While I enjoyed the romance of the main characters (Nicky, Mark and Oscar) that part seemed rushed at the end. It was a complicated romance with a lot of working parts all the way around. Once I was able to get into the story, it was fun and sometimes funny with all of the misdirection. ( )
  onyx95 | Nov 28, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,820,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible